1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

give me a little pda advice.

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by jVirus, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

I am thinking of getting a PDA. I have not used one forever but I think ill get one. I normally carry 3x5 cards around with todo lists on them and rewrite them to prioritize them. Can i reorder/prioritize todo lists with an ipaq like windows mobile 2003 os? rearrange the priorities of them? also is are the models i am looking at good? I have never liked compaq. I am more tolerant with their pda's than their computers. I have a wireless setup at home. I can recieve my laptop up in my bedroom 2 levels up. will I, if I get a sd card be able to reach up there too? Some websites list it as bluetooth and some wireless b. what is up with that. sorry i have so many questions, but maybe someone has looked at these before. I am looking at:

Ipaq 1935 and 40. I like them slim.

tell me if i should really be considering some other thing or other things. or if you have had good or bad experiences with them. thanks.

2. Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

I have been using a Dell Axim for a few months and love it. I've got a wireless network at home and bought a compact flash card to connect to it.
    I check my email, etc from anywhere at home and then sync at work.

3. plejon

plejon

I use a Palm V myself. You can assign a priority from 1 to 5 to, TODO items. This can be changed later on if something becomes less/more urgent.

Overview of palm products:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/products/compare/

Wireless: there are basically two systems: bluetooth and wifi. Bluetooth has a short range (+/- 10 meters), so it is good for syncronising your PDA with your PC when both are in the same room. WIFI has a larger range of up to 300 meters in ideal circumstances. You're home wireless LAN is very likely WIFI. Question is: if you want to sync your pda with your pc, do you need this larger range ?

4. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

im looking more to be able to check my email from my 3rd story room with just my pda

5. plejon

plejon

Bluetooth: works in one room. So probably not what you want

WIFI: should work in your entire house, and you already have the base network running, so this should work

Other networks: if you need to be truly mobile, even outside the house, you need a solution based on GSM or GPRS or other network technology. In this case, you might consider a blackberry in addition to palm or pocketpc solutions

6. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

k ill look into it

7. gws226

gws226

I just got the Ipaq 1935 and can honestly say that it rocks...

Being that I upgraded from a PalmIII I might not be the right person to give advice on the matter... but Im amazed at how far they have come!

The 1935 & the Tungston E are the next generation of the 'cheapo' models... but outside of built in wifi/bluetooth... I don't see where either of these models will let you down. As far as I can tell... the 'cheapos' lack processor speed... but I have been more than satisfied with the speed of this... I can play golf (in color!), listen to an MP3... and jump back and forth from my inbox/calendar all at once without noticing any significant loss of speed.
    they both have one expansion slot... (and no built in wifi/bluetooth) so I can see this becomming an annoyness to someone who later decides they want wifi/bluetooth and have to swap out their sd mem card everytime they want to go wireless.

They are both $199 (the 1935 is $199 after rebate though)... if you want the wifi then you should probably consider different models... they both support wifi sd cards... but they are between $50-$100 more if purchased separately... (so kept that in mind if its must have for you)

Also since both of this are considered introductary models... neither comes with a cradle... just the usb cable.

The final factor for me was size... both are very small... but the Ipaq was just a tad smaller than the Tungston and the edges are curved to better fit in your pocket/hand....

Good luck
    G

8. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

Rockin man. I am really looking for that slim stuff.

9. gws226

gws226

Size... OK...

Out of those base models... the 1935/1945 is smaller than the Tungston E... The screens are the same size... but the the tungsten is basically a square where-as the Ipaqs corners are rounded off creating the a better pocket fit...(the Ipaq is slightly lighter as well) When comparing the models... the Tungston E had that quality feel of brushed aluminum where-as the Ipaq felt more plasticy (sp)

In a totally different class the tungsten T3 is the smallest I've seen... and it sports a bigger screen than the E and 1935/1945... The controls keys slide out revealing a large screen when in use... but when put into its 'storage' position its smaller than the E and the 1935.

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1387781&clickid=feat_prod_title
    Like I said this is a totally different class of PDA... it boasts almost 3 times the processor power of the E model (and almost double that of the 1935)...
    it has the built in bluetooth... and twice the available mem of the E model (but the same mem as the Ipaq 1935/1945)

10. gws226

gws226

BTW... the Ipaq 1935 is selling like crazy... I could find no store that had it in stock...
    OfficeMax
    OfficeDepot
    Staples
    CompUsa... were all sold out for the last 2 weeks

The only place I found it(with the mail in rebate of $50) was http://tigerdirect.com

11. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

hehe. well that sounds like what ill probably get. it sounds sweet. yeah i have seen the ipaq being more plastic like but it also still looks very sharp. ill prolly get that one.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice