1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Given up on AMD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ramstein, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

I have spent the entire weekend trying to build a system with an Athlon 2200+ CPU that can play the game S.W.I.N.E

Its a long story. I've been supplying computers since 1988. I used to build XT's with those devilish RLL and MFM controllers driving 10MB Hard Drives that sounded like a sawmill cutting metal. The reason I say this is because I don't want forum guys to look at this thread and think... oh no.. another lame duck.

I keep away from Athlons because I know they are a pain in the but. Unfortunately I have business clients who buy bucket loads of Intel PCs off me and DEMAND Athlon for their kids at home.

This weekend I have tried the following

2 x Soltek 75FRV Motherboards
    1 x Soltek 75FRN-L Motherboard
    1 x Asustek A7V8x Motherboard

1 x 64MB Geforce 4 DDR Graphics Card
    1 x 128MB MSI ti4200 ----ditto---

1 x 512MB Samsung 333 DDR
    1 x 256MB 2100 PQI DDR - worked better than Samsung i.e. didn't shut down PC

1 x 40 GIG Seagate 5400
    1 x 80 GIG Maxtor 7200
    1 x 40 GIG Maxtor 5400

300w Mercury PSu
    300w Super Flower PSU
    400w Mercury PSU

2 x 2200+ XP
    1 x 2400+ XP

1 x Creative Audigy

Windows XP Home with Service PAck 1

Since 7 am Saturday morning until 6pm this evening (Monday) trying every rotation known to man, reloading XP six times, uploading all the service packs 32 of them on the last 2 occasions I have not been successful in getting the game S.W.I.N.E to play. When 3D is used it gives a corrupt screen as if bad memory. dxdiag reports OK on dx8.1.
    I spoke to AMD, Soltek, Fishtank, no-one can help me.

I have come to the conclusion I came to years ago, AMD is a thoroughly shameful product and badly designed but how can I convince my client without nailing myself to the cross and shouting - 'hey look at me, I'm bleeding to death and still AMD doesn't work!'

If you identify with this just add a reply 'yes'. I really don't expect any technical help, but if you have a stroke of genius May God Bless You.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) what error messages do you get?

2) have you tried compatability modes?

3) on the manf site, it says the game is compatabile with 98,ME,2k. XP is NOT listed....are you sure xp isnt your problem?

4) I have ran AMD systems for a LONG time now and have NEVER had a problem that tracked back to ONLY the cpu. (compatability issues yes, cpu issues, no.)

5) you said ram error messages...XP is VERY picky about ram. Have you tried other sticks that are known good?

3. Rockn

Rockn

Go to their forums for the game. It seems you aren't the only one. Maybe the game is just crap and I bet it wouldn't run on an Intel CPU either. A quote from their online forum....
    Seems to be very prevelent theme.

http://forum.jowood.com/search.php?...id=76487&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

If this is an older game from the late 90's then your problem most likely is Windows XP and not the hardware. Some older games just won't work with XP whatever you do.

Try loading Win 98 on the system and see if the game runs.

5. ramstein

ramstein Thread Starter

Well, as usual this forum excels itself with the quality of response and usefulness.

I'll try it on a WinME System with Intel and see what happens

6. Ichabod

Ichabod

Go to the AMD website and look at the configuration recommendations. The Soltek boards you picked are not recommended for the XP2200. Also your memory and your power supplies are not recommended. I built two AMD systems a few months back and went by the recommendations and have been very pleased. I had better luck with a 350 watt Enermax power supply than with the 300 watt generic that came with with my case. The system would not power down with the cheapie.

Ichabod

MSI KT3Ultra2, AMD XP2000+
    AX7 lapped/polished/AS3/Vantec Stealth 80 mm
    512M PC2100 Kingston DDRAM
    Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm, 8 meg cache
    I/O Magic CD/RW 48/16/48
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Sony 18"
    3Com EtherLink 3CX905B-TX
    Evercase ECE4252 Minitower(Very Cheap, Very Nice)
    Enermax EG365P-VE(FM)RT PSU
    120 mm Vantec Stealth in front
    80 mm Vantec Stealth in rear
    Windows XP Home, SP1

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice