1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Given up trying to open .vob files!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cuttlefish, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi Guys, running Win 10 Home, all updates in place and according to Dr. Google I should be able to open a video (.vob) DVD using Media Player 12 ........ but can't!

I know that MP 12 is required but for the love of me I can't find its "version" anywhere even though I did go to MS and download it (again!) Says to go to WM, click on the Help x About and there you will find it ..... not on my version! Not a sign of it!

I nonetheless assume it is on my PC via Windows Updates (Auto) but when I insert a DVD with the .vob files on it it promptly says it can't open it!

I have tried using File Explorer and the "open with" x WM but nothing, not interested!

I'm trying to avoid buying third party software if I can.........................

Many thanks

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  3. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Speak of the Devil ...... just installed it about 5 seconds before your reply, works great and FREE!

Thanks

4. cornemuse

cornemuse

Also, if vob file is on computer, rename to *.mpg, no chapters or subtitles tho.
    Remember to change name back to *.vob!!
    This even works with XP.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm curious why you want to view (or copy) a vob file from the DVD ????
    VLC can also play a DVD if you can't get WMP to work

a vob (>mpg) file can be only a segment of a chapter on the DVD ... (and not the whole Video file)
    The free HandBrake can extract the video chapters from a DVD to a mp4 ... (I assume it also works on W10)
    This can rip a DVD back to the video file(s) used to create (author) the DVD .. (assuming the DVD is not copy protected)
    Be sure to set Handbrake for a constant framerate and mp4 (H.264) video - under the Video tab

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice