1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Giving Windows 7 more space.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ToXiCaTioN.d, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToXiCaTioN.d

ToXiCaTioN.d Thread Starter

I'm using the RC of Windows 7, and love it. Switched from Vista to it. So, I got 50 GB currently and it's doing well. I just would like to split my drive in two (125 GB) because I rarely (no, never) use Vista, but I do run applications off of it's partition. So, I wanted to split it.

I figured it would be easy, go into Vista, shrink the volume by around 40 GB and extend the Windows partition. No go, I was only able to get Vista to take 7 GB from it's partition, which is useless.

I heard a lot about gParted, so I tried that out. I was able to boot from my Flash drive and got into it. I took 40 GB from the drive, and attempted to give it to Windows 7's partition. No go, it wouldn't allow me to allocate more than 3 MB. So I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong? Just in case I'll list the steps from gParted (I feel safer to do it from something not on the hard drive):

1. Boot up gParted.
    2. Right click Windows Vista drive and click Move / Resize.
    3. Type in the amount I wanted it to be. (In this case 125 GB - keep in mind this is not how much I wanted to take off, but how much I wanted it to be).
    4. Let it do it's magic until it was "done" unallocating (good thing it doesn't do anything until you click Apply).
    5. Right click the Windows 7 drive and click Move / Resize.
    6. Attempt to enter in the amount I want to increase it by, and try using the up arrow.
    7. Booting back into Windows after failing and writing this.

So, according to my steps, am I doing anything wrong in the steps to make to partition the drive?

Thank you!

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

I hope you backed your data up first!

Have you looked into gParted's ntfsresize command? It's not part of the GUI. It may help.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from this, but in general I have been advised and pass on the advice to avoid messing with partitions. Delete and create all you like, but stretching/shrinking is just asking for trouble. If your resizing utility makes one wrong step the whole partition is toast. It's happened to me- with gParted in fact on NTFS.

Backup, backup backup!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice