1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Glitches and jitters when playing music, video & games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barooshka, Jan 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Barooshka

Barooshka Thread Starter

Hello there!
    First I must say I'm not really sure if this is an actual hardware issue. I had my (Win 10) computer for approx. 1.5 year and I didn't have this problem until recently. When I play music I get this static noise glitches, in case of video the glitches of audio track and video track are in sync. It can range from barely noticeable glitch to around 1-2 second glitches (the ones after which you'd expect to get bluescreen, I never do).
    While I could get use to this, the glitches make my computer almost unusable for VR gaming (Vive). As you can imagine it could be motion sickness inducing experience if the video jitters and skips frames every other second not following actual movements of your body. The issue seems to be more severe for VR than regular gaming. It also takes ages to load VR games for some reason (compared to regular games).

The reason why I think this might be hardware issue, more specifically issue with electricity wiring in my apartment is that the fridge situated in the same room as computer stopped working approx. month after I started to have the issue with my PC.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you verified cpu/ram usage while this is occurring? You can monitor those using Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE > Start Task Manager).

Without more information, it sounds like a hardware bottleneck (ie: high cpu, ram, swap file, HDD, etc.).

3. Barooshka

Barooshka Thread Starter

I checked it but not sure how to interpret it - seems CPU is spiking often though I noticed when I'm not recording the video it spikes much less. Another thing I noticed is that jitters are there even when CPU is not used to the fullest or the other way around as well (not a lot of jitters even when CPU is at 100%). Exception to all of this would be VR - playing VR makes CPU 100% busy (I bet it would be even more if it could) and jitters are intense and constant. Few months ago it was all mostly smooth (I didn't change any hardware and don't remember doing any major changes regarding software - I have auto-updates enabled for everything that's got this option).
    I have also tried this program called Latency Checker - I'm attaching screenshot. As the program is suggesting I tried to disable some of the drivers (not very systematically though so I might have missed some). I didn't notice any difference.
    I would be willing to buy new CPU I would just like to be sure this is what's causing the issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 6:27 AM
  4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Where are you recording the video to? If it is that WD Mybook listed in your DXDiag report, that is not only the slowest storage device you have; but, USB further throttles the bandwidth allocated.
    Google Chrome is also eating up an awful lot of resources and you might want to try Firefox after you set the option to not let Chrome to run tasks in the background.
    I don't think it is a hardware problem; nor do I think the fridge failing has anything to do with it.
    As a note, many of the items you show as running update themselves without even asking you.

5. Barooshka

Barooshka Thread Starter

I went back to Firefox as you suggested and CPU freed up a bit. So I tried how it would affect VR - unfortunately the games are still mostly unplayable. I tried this VR game called Audioshield - interesting thing is that jitters were well present while, according to Task manager, CPU (or any other component) not once reached 100% utilization during video recording (file attached).
    I downloaded this VR Performance Test utility by Steam and it runs a simple benchmark to test how VR ready is your PC - there were absolutely no jitters or lags during testing (headset tracking and audio are not part of the test).
    I usually don't record videos (so it doesn't bother me if performance is not good during video capture), this time it was just for the purpose of capturing Task manager and the video was saved on drive F (it's 3.5'' WD Purple HDD in external case connected though USB; Drive Controller: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s <-> USB).

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:33 PM
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice