1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Glitches with installing CD RW on a Promise IDE controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scanner, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Here is what I'm trying to do: I want to install a new Sony CRX 220 CD RW on my Promise Ultra 133 TX2 controller card,
    on it I already have installed,
    a WD 60 Hdd (unjumped) on Chanel 1 and this drive is working.
    But when I tried to install the CD burner jumped to CS, on Chanel 2 it did not install or recognize the drive,
    so I tried unjumped and it is recognized and Windows see it in DM as working fine,
    but it isn't working at all, it won't read or write,
    I can't use the SL jumper 'cause on this box I already have two CD roms installed,
    one as master and the other as slave, on the mobo IDE.
    ( I've tested this drive on my spare Rig and it's working fine)
    I don't quite understand the full functionality of this type of card,
    and how it relate to the onboard controller,
    is it an extension, a addition to,
    and if so, how does one jump a drive that one want to install on the promise card,
    if on the onboard controller already have two drives one jumped as master and one as slave ?
    and if you're curious about why do I want to install a additional CD burner here is the reason of why: First because the Sony DVD burner is being used a lot,
    so as to save the drive from breaking down too soon ,
    the second it was setting in a drawer,
    third with Nero 6 ultra I can burn 2 disc's at the same time, if I want to.Thx

Asus A7N8X De LUXE-V2
    AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ 208 FSB 333
    PAIR OF KINGSTON DDR 256MB PC2700-333 MHZ
    PSU- THERMALTAKE WOOO9R 420WATTS DUAL FAN
    GRAPHIC -ATI RADEON 9700\9500- 128 MB
    HDD- WESTERN DIGITAL 40 GB 2MB CASHE Installed and Working
    HDD- WESTERN DIGITAL 60 GB 2MB CASHE (installed on the controller card and working)
    HDD- WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GB 8MB CASHE installed and working
    SONY DRU510A DVD BURNER installed and working
    SONY CRX 220E CD R-RW Instlled on the controller card and it isn't working
    SONY DDU1621 DVD READER installed and working
    PROMISE ULTRA 133 TX2- CONTROLLER
    RUNNING WINDOWS XP PRO

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I stick to hard drives on my Promise controllers, and I have the exact same model in three systems. I'm curious as to why you think you need three optical drives...

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would attach the CD-RW to one of the motherboard's IDE controller's and only use the Promise Controller for Hard Drives. Since each IDE can handle two drives you should not have any trouble having two optical drives on the same IDE connector. Jumper one as master and the other as slave and put the master at the end of the IDE connector, avoid trying Cable Select on the drives. Put the third optical drive on the second motherboard IDE connector and jumper it as master.

Personally, I have one DVD burner that does it all.

4. JohnWill

The DVD burner is a lot slower as a rule than a dedicated CD-RW drive, but I'm having a problem with three optical drives, the most I visualize a need for is two. :)

5. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

johnwill thanx for the quick reply, as to why a third optical I included your question and answered it in my original post

6. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Triple6 I already have tried to do just that but the supplied ribbon is not long enough to connect optimally and the ideal configuration would be: primary IDE Chanel HDD#1 with o\s master and slave the DVD RW. On the secondary: IDE Chanel HDD#2 slave and Master the DVD rom, but to do this I would have to buy a longer ribbon cable

7. JohnWill

With the price of optical drives, I don't spend much time worrying if they're going to break. :)

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm with Johnwill that the need is not there for 3 optical drives, but if you want to run them then just go out and buy a new IDE cable; get a long 80-wire IDE cable versus a 40 wire cable.

I've always stayed with hard drives on Promise Controllers and avoided using optical drives on them.

9. scanner

scanner Thread Starter

Of course you guys are right.but it's been done before,and since it's a brand new fast drive, I thought it would be nice to install and use.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice