1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Glitchy screen on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zephyrseven, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zephyrseven

zephyrseven Thread Starter

Hello, upon starting up my laptop I get a screen that looks similar to this:

[​IMG]

I did not take this pic, I found it off the internet. And its not nearly this bad, I can somewhat read the startup text behind it. But it wont get past startup. I was thinking it would either be a fried motherboard, or something wrong with the hard drive. I'm not sure which, what is the problem?

Extra details: It might be heat related problem, as my laptop gets really hot.

2. mpeet611

mpeet611

3. zephyrseven

I did get an external cooling pad. and cleaned out the heatsink and fan which were covered in dust. Now the problem is I don't know whats wrong with my computer

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If the fans were clogged with dust and a cooling pad helped, the problem was heat.

5. zephyrseven

Okay thank you, but can you help with the glitching screen issue now. What should I be checking for to replace or what not.

6. mpeet611

mpeet611

I work at a computer repair store & the tech's are always telling me that laptops are difficult to repair because the only way to replace most of the components is to take the entire laptop apart which can take hours. There advice is to replace the laptop if it's more than a couple of years old & doesn't have a warranty.

7. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Heat damages computers. If it was that hot, it must have damaged something. The way to fix that is to start replacing parts, but that can get pretty expensive with laptops.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If possible connect an external monitor to the laptop and check if the display on that is ok and let us know.

Because Graphics often uses some system ram, especially in laptops, another thing to try is testing the Ram stick(s) - reseat them in the socket(s) and if no change test them with memtest :-
    http://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-Ram-with-MemTest86

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice