1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

glitchy startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gene2k, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

I want to reformat my hardrive and start from scratch. But in order to do that my computer needs to be able to boot up on its own. In my case it doesn't do that. I have win 98 and an HP Pavillion and I don't know what to do. I can only boot it up by choosing what to boot in the menu where it has to choose to boot in normal, safe, etc... And to reformat I need to be able to shutdown my computer with the recovery disk in it and have it boot up on its own. I don't know what to do. I've asked a lot of people and been to a lot of websites and they've never encountered this problem before. It just boots to this screen saying windows is now starting you ms-dos based program with some other stuff and just sits there.:(

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have a recovery floppy and cd? Or just a cd? If just cd, please change your bios setup to boot with the cd first.

3. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

I jsut have the cd. How do I change my bios to boot with the cd?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Gene:

If your HP desktop accesses the BIOS like my 6-year old HP 8160 does, press the F1 key when the blue HP logo screen appears during startup. Once you get there, go to the Boot section and change the sequence to where the CDROM drive is listed first. Press the F10 key to save the change and exit the BIOS.

My HP came with a single recovery CD, whereas the newer ones come with 2 or 3 CD's. The owners manual should tell you how to access the BIOS and how to use the recovery CD(s).

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

5. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

Making the cdrom drive boot first doesn't work. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

6. ~Candy~

What does the top of the disk say that you are trying to boot from?

7. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

It's my recovery disk and it loks like it's going to start doing what it needs to do but it stops not even a quarter through the process and restarts again.

8. ~Candy~

Do you have any new hardware that you've added since you purchased the computer?

9. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

A new modem but I already have the driver I need installed. And a new cd-rom drive so I can burn files and stuff and that's been working fine. The first time I noticed this problem was when I was trying to restart in ms-dos and run scandisk. And that screen came up and wouldn't go away.

10. ~Candy~

Usually those restore cds work with the original hardware, so I'm not sure if that is why it's not working for you.

11. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

I'll try and put the original cd-rom in and see what happens. I'll let you know if it works or not.

12. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

I thought the cd-rom only reads the disk inserted and is nothin gspecial. Is it because the disk is coded only to work with that machine and hardware.

13. ~Candy~

Most restore cds that I've seen are computer specific. For example if you had a restore cd from a Compaq machine it would not work in a Dell or Gateway machine. You can still pull Windows files off of them, usually, but it won't perform the restore operation for the computer.

Not sure if your new modem would have any effect on it not working as well.

What model Pavilion do you have?

14. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

It's the HP 6340. I'm waiting to move then I'll buy a new computer or upgrade this one if I can fix it.

15. ~Candy~

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice