1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Glossy Vs Anti-Glare Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chuck911, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuck911

chuck911 Thread Starter

Dell offers a "anti-glare" display (instead of the glossy) on their laptops.
    Having never seen one, I was kinda wondering if it's something worth getting. Actually, there's no extra charge for it. I would like to know the pros/cons of this thing before ordering my Dell Inspironi 1720. Thx!

Chuck

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I do IT service and support in my city. I work on many laptops and I don't like the glossy display. It picks up every bright reflection you can imagine and some you wouldn't. It's almost impossible to get at a position that doesn't pick up a glare.

I don't know who came up with the idea of a glossy screen; but, I think he needs a swift kick in the butt.

3. ferrija1

ferrija1

I prefer a glossy screen, unless your outside or near very bright lights, you can't see the reflection much. Glossy screens also have richer colors and deeper blacks. Matte screens are roughed up so they are not as reflective but also appear a little more washed out.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I suggest you visit a few stores and compare the screen types. Pay close attention to the reflections.

Ever watched TV on a CRT and been annoyed by open blinds or curtains or had to turn off a lamp? The flatness of the laptop screen does narrow the angle somewhat making the reflections fewer that you have to deal with; but, some are still there.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

Yes, you should definitely go to a local computer store and compare them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice