1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gmail accounts somehow linked and I cannot unlink

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by shaarog, Nov 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. shaarog

shaarog Thread Starter

I have a friend who has 2 gmail account that seem to be linked in a way that is not letting me unlink. Here are the peculiar things happening:
    1. two account [email protected] and [email protected]
    2. SusyA is getting mail from both accounts
    3. If I try to isolate with Google settings one account I cannot seem to do that
    4 When I go to Gmail>settings>accounts>send email as and I change SusyB to SusyC it still shows on the Google account page as SusyB

This friend had an abusive husband who is tech savvy and she suspects he has access to one of the emails as he seems to know things he should not.

Should she just bite the bullet and scrap both accounts and start fresh with all that entails notifying everyone of her new email? Or am I missing something obvious.

2. britekguy

britekguy

The first thing to do is have the account owner change the passwords on both accounts.

The next thing is to check the Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings on both accounts, as it sounds like one is definitely set up to forward to the other.

The next thing to check is the Filters and Blocked Addresses settings to see if a filter is in place that sends messages from one account to the other.

Read the "Learn More" link under the Send mail as settings. You can't pick any random identifier and the material there is very specific about what you can do and how to do it.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    In addition to Brian's recommendations, your friend should also make sure neither account's security settings permit another Gmail account access to her account.

Your friend should also make sure the account recovery phone number and recovery email address belong to your friend and the husband does not have access to them.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  4. britekguy

britekguy

Yup. While Google has become very security conscious all it takes is one "other person" having access to your backup e-mail or phone number and they can find a way in again.

It's critical that the ex not know what the recovery e-mail address or phone number are. And these need not belong to the account owner (though they should, for ease of access in case of emergency). One can actually set up a completely separate Gmail account and Google Voice number to use as one's recovery items. That's how I have my various Gmail accounts set up, each having another Gmail address and Google Voice number as the recovery options. I've never had to use recovery, but the "a new device has logged in" messages that come when you use an "alien machine" come through on both the e-mail and via text on the Google Voice number.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

This is what I would do in this situation: Yes...I would delete both Gmail accounts....it just safer and easier this way. Next I would do a complete factory reset on said PC. This will ensure that there is no spy software installed....ie keyloggers. If there is a android phone involved as well, synced or not.....factory reset it.

Then create a new Gmail account setting up password with a 16 key combination. Then setup PC and phone with new user names and passwords.

6. britekguy

britekguy

A big addition to @bassfisher6522's advice is to export your Gmail contacts for import to the new account. Contacts cannot be infected, and it makes it much easier not to have to rebuild your entire contacts list from scratch as well as to send out "my email address has changed" messages.

Personally, I only choose what I consider to be "the thermonuclear option" after having tried other options first to see if they fix the situation. If they don't, then you know that they time has come to chuck it all, wipe the slate clean, and start all over again.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Thanks, I completely forgot about the contacts.

8. shaarog

shaarog Thread Starter

Thank you for the helpful solutions. I will try in ascending order of difficulty.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice