1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gmail and facebook accounts hacked

Discussion in 'General Security' started by cmfyczy857, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmfyczy857

cmfyczy857 Thread Starter

My gmail account got hacked. Offenders changed my pw, alternate email address, and deleted my contacts. They sent email out to all the contacts saying that I was stranded in the UK without money and asking for contacts to respond to arrange to send $2000.00. Offenders changed settings so that response email would be forwarded to their account. Friends who got these fraudulent emails called and alerted me and I contacted gmail and reset the alternate email address so they could send me a link to reset pw. Upon regaining access I discovered the extent of compromise.
    I also rec'd email from facebook that my account with them has been breached. I still have not regained access to that.
    I had Norton360 v 3.0 running on my computer the whole time. I have scanned my computer with it then with Norton 360 v 4.0 and with Trend Micro and no virus or malware is detectable. How did my account get hacked?????

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Norton is mainly an antivirus product, maybe they include anti-spyware too now, not sure. There are many ways to steal access to your gmail. One of the ways is to install a keylogger on your pc, and steal username and passwords as you type them. But if you have accessed your gmail from another computer, like at university; public library, your friend's PC etc, then it may be that those computers are infected and not yours. Also, it may not be a technical attack. Simply being able to look over your shoulder as you enter the passwords will get you hacked just as easily. Then, there are whats called brute force attacks, where a program simply points to a login page, and tries each combination in sequence till it hits the right one. Gmail may not fall to brute force attacks, but if you use the same password on multiple sites, then there is a chance that they hacked that account first and tried to use the same password on gmail. Then there may have been phishing attempts made at your account and you mistakenly entered your password into a web site that only looks like Gmail. There should be more ways to steal your gmail, but I am not a hacker.

If you are running Trend Micro along with Norton, you might end up with them interferring with each other. You cannot run multiple real-time antivirus products together.

When you reset your Gmail, use a complex passphrase that is easy to remember. Eg. The phrase "Kirk is the rightful captain of the USS Enterprise" can be transformed into "kitrcotusse". Throw in a number and that becomes "kitrc999otusse". Adding a symbol like "&" and using mixed case will help too. The key thing to making brute force attempts harder is making the passphrase longer and not using dictionary words. Also when selecting the security question, just treat it as another passphrase, and avoid things other people can get to know, like things published on Facebook.

3. cmfyczy857

cmfyczy857 Thread Starter

Thanks, Lunar. Gmail gave all those tips about password strength also. You can be assured that it is now much more complex. I wonder if perhaps I accessed that account from work and that computer is sporting some malware. I will run some scans on that. I hadn't given that any thought. Thanks for the input.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

You're welcome.

Be aware that crooks are now targeting companies more and more. The aim is to uncover banking credentials. They also know that many people use Facebook and that would lead them to your co-workers. They could also send Facebook malicious links to your co-workers and infect them too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/937822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice