1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gmail Contacts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Googlebugs, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Googlebugs

Googlebugs Thread Starter

I am having problems with Google Email. About 50% of the time, when I log into Google Mail and try to select a contact, the list displays for an instant, then disappears completely. If I minimize mail, the Contact list is displayed on my Home page. I have a Dell 1555 Studio laptop, Windows 7, Kaspersky 2011, updated Java and Adobe Flash Player. I also made sure that my Google browser was the latest version.

Again, this does NOT happen each and every time but when it does, it's a royal pain. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Gmail is web-based, and Contacts are also stored in your Google account. If you're not using a web browser, what are you using?

3. Googlebugs

DoubleHelix,
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm using IE-8 optomized for Bing and MSN. Sorry I left that 411 out of my post.

Thanks again..

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So what list are you referring to? What does "minimize mail" mean if you're using a web browser?

I don't understand your description of the problem.

5. Googlebugs

Maybe I'm not being as clear (or and knowledgeable) as I should be. I log on to the Internet from my Desktop by clicking the Google - Internet Explorer Icon on my Task bar. Once on my home page, I select Gmail by clicking on the red "M" icon on the Google Tool Bar which puts me into Gmail after entering my User ID and Password. Now, I want to send out a message, so, I click on the "Contact" button on the left side of the Gmail Screen. At this point, the Contact List either displays for a short blip or not at all. So, I "Minimize" my Gmail page by clicking on the "Minimize" icon (-) located at the very top of the screen in the right corner of the monitor which returns me to my Google - I.E home page and low and behold, there is my list of Contacts.

I don't know I can be more any more informative. If this doesn't make any sense to you, I can certainly understand but for what it's worth, I definitely appreciate you trying to help me with this screwy problem.

Regards,

Steve

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone else will understand.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why are you going to Contacts first. Just start composing an email and start typining in the users you want to email. Gmail has an auto complete function that will give you suggestions as you type.

I personally have not used IE in years. I would suggest you give Chrome and Firefox a try.

8. Googlebugs

:)
    You really helped me figure it out! I had gotten used to using Yahoo Mail where you can use your Contacts in the same manner as your Address Book. However, as I learned, this does NOT work the same in Gmail. I DID download Chrome and followed your instructions for completing the "To:" information. I now know how to use the Address Book as it was meant to be used. Thanks for the lesson!!!

Steve (y)

9. Googlebugs

I was using the "Address Book" for my "To" field in Gmail. This works fine in Yahoo Mail (which I had been using for quite a while) but DOES NOT work in Gmail. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Thanks for trying to help.

Steve

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice