Gmail Hacked

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MarcusMaximus

My Gmail account was hacked recently. I think it was a cross site request forgery method was used but apparently thats been fixed http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/google-gmail-e-mail-hijack-technique/. Any other know reasons. Below is what happened

i received an email from warez-bb.org saying please confirm your registration but i though it was a mistake and thought nothing of it. i then received an email saying i was banned from warez-bb forums for a certain post so out of curiosity i decided to have a look as to why i was banned from a site i never registered or posted on. turns out i couldn't log on using the user name and password they had previously sent me because i was blocked.

I decided I'd check my gmail log on history to see if i could find anything. Turns out i was logged in from 121.96.217.98 and was logged in at 3:30am when i was sound asleep in bed. Somebody hacked my account, they were chating to a friend in the states too. First thing i did was change the password to something even stronger than the previous and change the secret question, changed the hotmail one too as they linked and other passwords too. Restricted pop and imap access and disabled a few google labs gadgets.

My first thought was because my email address was all over recruitment sites with my C.V. but not my password obviously, i thought they might have got the email address and cracked the secret question or something. Next thing i thought was that linked in was hacked and as its the only website i ever let connect to my Gmail contacts i thought the username and password were obtained that way.

I think that im safe now but if anybody has any info as to how this happened, it would be appreciated.
Don't know if this should be in the security section sorry if it is

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online