1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gmail: how do I transfer emails from one account to another?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I just retired from my school district and I would like to save my old school emails from Gmail in an archived folder in my personal Gmail account....basically, I'd like to be able to reference old emails if I ever need to, and my school account will be shut down at the end of June. I googled this, and found detailed instructions, which I followed.... but at some point, I get some sort of "access denied" message.....any ideas? Some simple way to do this? I tried just forwarding messages, but you can't do more than one at a time it appears....

Any advice appreciated!

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, I tried that---several times. It is exactly what I was talking about: it won't give me the arrow icon next to "More" and all that....only the arrow in the upper right hand corner, which just redirects me to the tutorial. I should have said: this is a laptop running Windows 10....if that may have anything to do with it.....

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't run Windows 10 so I can try it and see if that is the problem.

5. Simeon Naranjit

Simeon Naranjit

Have you tried using Outlook or Thunderbird (open source version similar to Outlook) to connect to the work account via IMAP, let it sync completely, then export to a .PST file for offline use. Once you have that you can import it into your Gmail the same way as the export, just using the Import option.

If your permissions allow you, can you attempt another method... You can use Google Takeout to export everything from that account to an .MBOX format. Once you have that you can use the free Thunderbird email client to connect to your personal Gmail account, then import that exported copy into a dedicated folder for future reference.

Hope it works out. Just a word of caution... you might violate a security policy and get yourself in trouble if you export anything from that account since it's technically owned by the school district. There might be a sense of ownership on your end but it is ultimately the property of the school district. Sometimes there are audit measures available to alert the school's IT staff if items are exported and that could get you in hot water. I've seen instances of this in the past and the worst outcome I remember was that attorneys were brought in and their pension was at risk. Good luck in whatever the result is and congrats on the recent retirement.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for this! Can you please give me a step-by-step on the Thunderbird option? That is my email program of choice the last 20 years! i appreciate it.....and also the warnings.....

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are the messages still on Google's server?

If so, create both the school and personal accounts in Thunderbird. If you selected IMAP for the school account be sure to set the 'Synchronization & Storage' settings to keep the messages (regardless of age) on the computer. After all the school emails are fetched from the server copy them to a folder of your choice in the personal account.

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

hi Terry, can you please give me a step-by-step on this? I don't understand what you mean, vis a vis "creating both accounts in Thunderbird." And I don't know anything about IMAP, etc.......if you can list the exact steps, I'll follow them exactly....only got a few days left.......

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

...don't know if they are "still on server"....! ugh....sorry to be so ignorant....

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Login to the account using the web mail interface and look in Inbox (or other mail boxes) to see if the desired messages are there.

11. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Yes, all my email messages are in there.....to be clear, just my normal emails from TB.....I would like to bring over all my emails to THIS account.....or rather, I'd prefer they all get imported to my personal gmail account, but I believe you indicated thi was simpler. now if you could give the steps for the IMAP and all that.....?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In gmail's web access for the school account go to Settings - Forwarding and POP/IMAP. In that section select options for POP or IMAP. There are links there to instructions for configuring your email client. Then see post # 7 in this thread.

If you prefer, post # 5 talks about exporting/importing. I know nothing about that method.

13. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, well, it was confusing, but I had someone who knows this stuff do it for me, and I managed to download all the emails through the POP/IMAP. Here's what I'm still confused/nervous about: I have all the emails from inbox/sent, on my TB account, in my local folders, and I also backed up the .pcv file of TB to my external drive.....and I went back to the school gmail account and disabled POP/IMAX.

At the top of the folder structure, way above the local folders, is the old work email account, with the inbox/sent, etc. folders. I copied the emails from these folders (where they originally showed up in the process)....again, these were copied to my local folders, then the .pcv backed up via Mozbackup.

Question 1: now that the emails are (safely?) backed up, can I delete the work account that was created on TB for POP/IMAP? Are my backed up emails safe?

Question 2: can I safely delete emails from the "sent" folder on the work account before it is deleted? Will this affect my backups?

Question 3: Why, on the TB account, now that POP/IMAP has been disabled (and I get a recurring message: "pop/imap has been disconnected, etc."), do I still see "Downloading 76 of 1,345z" etc. at the bottom of my screen? Surely this download is occurring within my own LOCAL FOLDERS, right? There should be no connection to the old work account remaining, right?

THANKS, and sorry for the long message.....I don't know where else to get this info.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Yes. Yes, in the sense that nothing you do with the gmail account will mess with the copies of messages that you have stored elsewhere.

2. Depends on the school's rules for preservation of messages. No.

3. I have no idea. Why don't you delete the account if you've made all the copies you want?

15. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you very much for this. The reason I did not just delete the Gmail account what I was done is because I was worried that it was still somehow tied to the messages I saved and that I might lose them. Just to be clear, the messages that were downloaded I copied to folders on my own "local folders." Are these copies safe as well? That is, if I delete the Gmail account that is a duplicate of the actual one, all those Gmail's that are now in my local folders, they are definitely safe?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice