1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Gmail login

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by django47, Mar 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. django47

django47 Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem, or knows how to reverse it. What I'm refering to is accessing my gmail inbox. For 10 years or so, I just had to click on the desktop or favourites icon and my gmail account opened up with no bother. Now though, when i try to open it, I have to log in before I can open it to do anything. This has only just started happening, days ago. Of course it isn't a serious issue, it is sometimes quite inconvenient though.
    I feel that there must be a setting somewhere that controls password login's. I would expect to login to internet sites such as Tech Support Guys and Facebook and of course online banking, but not my email (gmail) page which I use quite often for quickly checking a piece of information in a message sent to me, that kind of thing. Instead of clicking on to one of the shortcut icons, I have to
    rummage round to locate my password booklet and type in my email address and the password, I had to create a new one because I've never had to log in to it before so if I ever had a p/w I wouldn't have remembered it.
    I'd love to find out if anyone else has had this so annoying glitch, and if they knew how to fix it. I've tried internet options, advanced tab, reset Internet Explorer to default condition. It made no difference.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    do you have this checked?

upload_2019-3-5_15-9-21.png

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm on Windows 7 and haven't been able to see gmail's inbox without logging in for over a year. This happens on all 4 Windows 7 computers and using several different browsers.
    You're lucky you went directly to your inbox for so long.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well with Chrome, as long as I don't sign out the login is cached. Plus with the sync option, it might be a better option for you to use to get your email.

5. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

I never have to use my password unless i log out.Upon logging back in though,usually a box pops up asking me if i want to save the password.I click yes and never have to log back in again.I click on my gmail icon and it brings me directly to my inbox.
    Im on windows 7 home premium.

6. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Yes, my windows 8.1 and previous (vista home premium) was exactly as you describe. Thanks.

7. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Sync, I will have to find out about that, I only know about "sync" in WMP, can't recall comming across it with anythibg else, but thanks for the tip.

8. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Really, until just less than a week ago, I only had to click on shortcut icon on desktop, favourites bar, or the task bar and went directly to gmail inbox page. That was the case from before googlemail.com shortened the address to gmail.com. Even my old asus laptop running windows 8.1 has always been easy access gmail until now. I've got no secrets or illegal content among my emails that I would need to protect, like most people a good chunk of my inbox is spam. I've never had any problems with my email account (gmail), but thanks for your reply, it tells me that there must be an option somewhere otherwise we would both have to, or not have to log into our gmail account inbox homepage.

9. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Do you have "Auto Sign in" turned on?

10. AmyToo

AmyToo

First Name:
    Amy
    There's no "Passwords" option in the 3-dot menu in Chrome. The "Passwords" option is off the Profile menu.

I don't know what link @django47 is clicking on or what it opens. We need more info.

11. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

this is what you need to set.see screenie below. Untitledx.png

12. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

better yet,just click the 3 dots.in the drop down list click "settings". go to the section where it says "autofill". click on "passwords" and change the settings accordingly.Should have went with that first i guess.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  13. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

14. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Yes, that was one of the first things I did, I googled it and that's how I knew about it. Anyway it seems to have sorted itself out now, touch wood it stays that way, I know it wasn't what you'd call a problem as such, it was just annoying, especially as I have never had to login to my gmail account ever. But many thanks for your help,
    django47

15. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have to log in every time with Win 7 but I do have to refresh the page occasionally,probably because I don't allow cookies from the myriad of googles other apps.32 different google clients blocked cookies,could be more but I didn't scroll to the bottom of my cookie page.Those were just the ones at the top of the list.I do allow some google cookies,3 that I found.
    I don't log out but have had to log in for some reason or another on occasion.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice