1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GMAIL on Outlook

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by almenen, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

I have configured my new gmail account on Outlook; I follow all the instructions as posted on the Google site. When I test my Outlook account settings, they all pass and I get a congratulations that my account works .. a test email is sent. I cannot get that email in my Outlook INBOX .. yet I can see the email in the Google server. I am using Windows 7 as an operating system. Use the following configuration
    imap.gmail.com
    Port:993
    SSL
    smtp.gmail.com
    Port 587
    TLS

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it will not appear in the default outlook inbox, that is for PST (POP files) or imap that has been changed to use a PST - but then its nolonger imap

in the list of folders you should see your gmail account
    then click on the + to open the folders
    you will see one called gmail
    click on that to open the folders
    you will see inbox etc there

NOTE
    also that if you use outlook delete - it will NOT delete the email - only the label
    to delete an email under imap and remove it from the gmail server - you need to drag the item to the
    bin/trash or whatever you gmail bin is called - they are usually BIN or TRASH

3. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

Hello Wayne,

I looked there and there is no INBOX ... there is DRAFT, SENT MAIL, THRASH, IMPORTANT, SPAM and STARRED. By the way I set up my wife in the same computer but her profile and her's works just fine in the normal Outlook INBOX.

Is there a way to add the INBOX to my GMAIL folders?

Al

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    unusual

right click on gmail
    and see what folders are subscribed

also log into your gmail on the web
    goto settings
    and look at the labels setup for imap

5. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

Hi,

You mean Right Click on GMAIL ? I don't understand ... on GMAIL folder in Outlook? The only folders are those I mentioned.

In Gmail on the web .. everything is set up to SHOW on imap.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

Hello ...
    None of that worked ... but I Removed the profile from Outlook then Re-installed it again .. now it seems to work. The INBOX appeared under the GMAIL folder, but strangely enough the emails goes to the regular INBOX in Outlook. Go figure.
    Thanks for all the help

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it doesn't create it's own set of folders including the Gmail/Google Mail folder then you probably set it up as a POP account instead of IMAP, IMAP is the one that creates it's own set of folders. Not really a problem but POP won't update changes to any other computer or device or webmail, very handy if using multiple devices that access the same email account.

9. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

It stopped working again .....
    And no Rob it's set up as an imap account... it works when I first set it up then it stops.

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what version of outlook
    perhaps some screen shots

i have had issues with outlook 2007 and gmail with imap
    outlook 2003 , 2010 & 2013 all work OK

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Also include a screenshot of the email accounts page with all the settings you used as well as the Advanced tab under More Settings.

12. almenen

almenen Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,
    My email problem has been solved .. my son found out that AVG was interfering with Gmail coming coming through Outlook, after we disabled AVG everything works well.
    Thanks all those that tried to help me.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may want to uninstall AVG and try Avira Free Antivirus or the free Microsoft Security Essentials.

14. ehdf

ehdf

anybody please share screen shots of solutions? it is very hard for me to sum up the whole thread.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As a general forum rule you should provide details of your issue and probably start your your own thread with a reference to the this thread. Are you having the exact same issue? Are you using Outlook and Gmail as well? Are you using POP or IMAP? Are you missing the inbox?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice