1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gmail page

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Pearlite, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

First of all, let me apologize (you know who you are) - due to circumstances beyond my control, I couldn't find this site in order to ask questions for several months, and thus, could not remember how to use it. Now my problem -

I have a 2009 Mac OS X, on which I've set up gmail, which appears as soon as I turn on the computer. Since I've installed MacKeeper, icons pop up right at the start, asking me if I will allow them into my info, which I usually deny, but this time when I went to click 'deny', I turned my head away from the computer, and must have clicked on something else. When I looked back again, instead of my gmail page being it's regular half mail list, and half individual emails I have clicked on, it was one entire list of emails. I tried clicking on everything in my dock, my gmail icons, and at the top of the computer screen - nothing. After exhausting everything I could think of, I was resting my mouse just above my dock this afternoon, and a pop-up appeared, saying that if I wished to put the page back how it originally was, I could click twice and it would return to normal. This I did, and finally I have answered my own question.

I posted this since I gather this is the right thing to do, and just maybe, someone out there is newer at this than I am and could use the info. Thank you anyway.

2. Headrush

Headrush

Glad you got it fixed.

I was never a big fan of MacKeeper.

3. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Nice to know you're there, and sorry for starting things off on the wrong foot.

Let me tell you, I was slightly panicked. I had clicked on something I shouldn't have, and within 1 day, a virus in my computer had started playing havoc, in particular, with the sheet I kept my info on. I would click it on, but the minute I went to click any link on it, or do anything with it, it went off the screen. Consequently, I started copying all my info, but never could get it finished before the page disappeared altogether. I ended up losing the link to this sight, and could not for the life of me, remember what the name of it was. Therefore, I couldn't reach you, and since I don't use credit cards, had a great deal of trouble trying to find help. I had just seen an ad for MacKeeper, and had to save up to install it. It's been fine, but I sure would have been able to use your advice right about then. Wiser now. I've got copies stored off line.

Can I ask why you don't like MacKeeper, and what you would advise?

4. Headrush

Headrush

Was never a problem.

For one, when I looked at it, they were using WINE (like an emulation layer) to run a windows program as the antivirus program.
    I understand that they probably have a normal OS X antivirus program now.

Additionally I never liked the advertising methods they have used. Really gave it a malware feel.
    (web surfing and full page pop ups)

Most of the functionality I have more dedicated slimmer programs I prefer and/or it's already built into OS X anyways.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with it, just not for me.

You can read some interesting comments about it here: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33710/mackeeper

5. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

I read the first page of 'scwibbles' and I must say, it doesn't sound good. I did notice that my Mac was running slower after I installed MacKeeper, but it did get rid of the virus, and for that I was, and am grateful. However, I didn't know at the time, anything else to do, and needed something fast before things got entirely beyond my ability to do anything about it. So now I hear theres a Macupdate .... I must check into that. And I hear you can uninstall MacKeeper. If I knew of something better, I might just do that when I've got some $ saved. It's not being a pain to me right now, but I would rather know of something else I can try now, before it starts being a pain, than wait until I'm in a corner with my hands tied. I'll take suggestions if you have any to offer, and I will look up macupdate.

6. Headrush

Headrush

I've used Sophos Antivirus for OS X and was happy with it.

It used minimal resources and it's free to boot.

What other features of MacKeeper do you use?

P.S. You have to be careful reading reviews on macupdate. There are a lot of uniformed opinions I've noticed.
    I just posted the MacKeeper one as I've never seen an app that had such strong harsh opinions.

7. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush,
    I'll write down your recommendation for Antivirus, thank you. Free??? That sounds even better.
    I've looked into Macupdate, but would have to spend some time figuring out how to use it - these things just don't come to quickly to me. I hit the 'most recent' for 'Hot apps' but couldn't see your MacKeeper one, so I might need more info if I'm going to read it this afternoon. It never ceases to amaze me how people will use any outlet to show off/mouth off, so I can just imagine some of the opinions and complaints you've come across. I'll go back to the sight when I have some time to figure things out.
    As for my MacKeeper's features - I'm sorry Headrush, you've got someone here who does the minimal with software, so I've just used it to do quick clean-ups and one major overhaul - that was to clean up the security issues I had. It has done a good job as far as I have required it, but I'm no expert for sure. I haven't had a problem with it, and although it sends me pop-ups when I turn my computer on, I've not seen any ads or other annoying 'features'. Nevertheless, since you know your stuff, I respect your opinion on the matter, and will look into Sophos Antivirus for OS X.

8. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush,
    I've tried looking through the pages of Macupdate, for Friday, to find your MacKeeper comments, but couldn't get the pages to 'turn'. Tried doing several things with the site to find if there was any other way to get into the other comments that it wasn't showing me, but couldn't find a way in. If there's something you can say or know how to do, that would assist me in getting to your comments, please do let me know whenever you've got a moment. Thank you.

9. Headrush

Headrush

I never posted on macupdate.

It was just an example of extreme comments that you don't quite see with most software.
    The annoying popups for MacKeeper I was referring to was on web sites advertising MacKeeper, not the MacKeeper software itself.

10. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. Sorry about that. I must have misunderstood you. You had mentioned Macupdate, and their having a lot of uninformed opinions, and then commented that you had just posted 'the MacKeeper one', I assumed it was on the same site, but then I'm rushing around these days (the Season and all), and wasn't 'all here'. I hope to have some time to peek at Macupdate soon, just to get a feel for the site. Wish I could be of more help regarding the MacKeeper, but I just get on here to do my research and get my books written, and when that's done, I'm done for the day. So I don't probe around much. Have a nice Holiday.

11. Pearlite

Pearlite Thread Starter

Hi Headrush. I just wanted to let you know that, after having occasion to use MacKeeper this past weekend, I found out about more of its uses. You had mentioned you wanted to know more about it, and while you may very well have researched it on you own by now, I thought I would take a chance and just give you the features I found out about. It deals with Identity theft, credit card theft, Trojan horses, malware, and phishing; encrypts data, recovers or shreds files, has a 'back-up' system that protects your files from anyone from getting into them through your own browser's memory, cleans logs and cache, plus several other features that I'm not sure about.

I posted a problem I had this past weekend on Tech Support, and although no one has answered it yet, after running my MacKeeper security system and cleaning up any suspicious, unwelcome 'guests', my problem has been solved. It seems to work fairly well for me, so I'll keep using it for now, but I haven't forgotten your suggestion either. Talk to you later.

12. Headrush

Headrush

My issues were with the marketing of MacKeeper, not only the software itself.

I have real issues with web pages popping up messages saying you have a virus or some issue with your computer and than providing links to their software. Frankly, this is the exact same procedure most malware uses also. There is also a lot of criticism about "paid" or "sponsored" favourable reviews.

Although a lot of these problems can be attributed to their affiliate program, they are still responsible for allowing this.
    I have never see another OS X application so annoyingly marketed and it directly bothers me because I have to deal with it when a family member calls thinking they have issues when they don't.

The software does have a nice slick GUI, but I'll stick to my free tools that accomplish the same tasks and just being smart. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice