1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Gmail password recovery stuck in a loop

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gieffe, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gieffe

Gieffe Thread Starter

So,

1. I forgot my Gmail password

2. I followed the recovery process, in theory successfully (code sent to phone + code sent to 2nd e-mail address)

3. Three days later Google sent me an e-mail at my elected recovery e-mail address saying I can now access my e-mail account (note that Google "recovery success" email does not have any "reset your password" kind of link)

4. I go through the login process and I am taken for another spin in the merry go around: Username: here; Password: I don't remember it; hit "forgot password"; start all over; receive the success e-mail from Google; and so on forever and ever into eternity

Has Google lost its marbles?

I should add: I am still logged in into Gmail both on my PC and my Phone. And I am terrified of logging out of there, as I may never get back. Is this the reason why I am stuck in a loop?

I should also add that, despite the fact that typing www.gmail.com in Chrome takes my straight to my account without asking any questions, there are no traces of my password in Chrome.

Finally, I should add that I have the 2-step verification process enabled.

Any idea on how to get out of the groundhog day?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you will have to log out on one device, then do the password recovery on it, but keep the webpage open and when you get the code enter it on that webpage, you should then get a new screen where you can make a new password.

3. Gieffe

Gieffe Thread Starter

It worked! I was sweating and crying when I hit the "sign-out" button. But it worked perfectly and now I am in again.

Thank you very much.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :) I hope you created a password you won't forget !

(if you're sure it's fixed please click on the [Mark Solved] button at the top-left of your webpage).

5. Gieffe

Gieffe Thread Starter

Ok -- Done and thank you.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice