1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gmail questions

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lschul, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I am using gmail and I like it, but I have a question. It seems when I send an email to myself using Outlook (my wife uses Outlook Express) it gets sent and show up in the web application as an email but never comes down to Outlook or OE. Why is that? I sometimes send myself a note or an email - will Gmail not allow this? Also, is there any tech support for gmail?

I have attached a thumbnail of my settings for pop to see if anyone finds anything wrong with the set up.

Attached Files:

2. moly

moly

i've used gmail with outlook for quite a while and never encountered the problem you are having....

enabling pop is not enough for gmail to work properly with OE or outlook. for outlook express and outlook 2000 make sure you follow these steps: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276&topic=1556

if you are using outlook 2003 follow the following: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13278&topic=1556

3. moly

moly

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have it working properly, but in outlook if I send myself and email it doesn't show back up in outlook, just the web application. I think this is actually the way it functions.

5. moly

moly

with outlook 2003 mine does not work this way. if i send an email to myself from outlook i have a copy of the email in the inbox and a copy in the sent mail.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

You get it downloaded to your inbox within outlook? It goes to gmail web application but not my outlook...

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You are correct. That seems to be the way the Gmail server works. I just tested this in Outlook 2003. I sent a message to myself using my Gmail account (from and to the same gamail address) and it never showed up in my Outlook inbox. The same test (identical from and to addresses) on our company server had the message in my inbox.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice