Gmail spam

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lschul

I just got an email and I inadvertently hit the report as spam but its a good email, is there any way to make sure his address is not considered spam? Any way to reverse that? I am sure I lost the email but...

If you reported it as "spam" it should still be in the spam folder (that is unless youv'e cleared all of your spam emails). If it is still there you simply go int the spam folder, check the email in question, then click the "NOT SPAM" button. This should remedy the problem. If the email has been deleted from the spam folder simply contact the sender in another format, ask him to send you another email, then find the email in the spam folder and do as instructed above.

lschul

Its really weird, the email disappeared. I went to the spam folder and it was not there so I have no idea what happened. Thanks for your thoughts, they made perfect sense.

The underlying problem is that it can result in genuine emails from that person being blocked though.

But I think they would have to be "accidentally" reported by many people, I seriously doubt that one isolated case would do it, or a person could maliciously have others blocked for no reason.

Remember this was "reported" as spam, not "identified" as spam.

Reporting it actually sends a copy it to Google, identifying will just send it to a spam folder. But it will be handled by an automated process at the Google end, so unless many others also report it I would not expect any problems.

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=9378&topic=1520
What should I do if a message is improperly marked as spam?
Use Gmail's 'Not Spam' button to unmark mail that's been misclassified. Just open 'Spam,' check the box next to the message that isn't spam, and click 'Not Spam' along the top. You'll also see the 'Not Spam' button at the top of spam messages you've opened, so you can unmark messages from Conversation View, too.

Unmarking messages moves them to your inbox.
Avoiding Spam

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1519

Unmarking is a local action, simply transferring what Gmail servers thought was spam into your inbox because you personally disagree with their classification.

But "report as spam" is an instruction for Gmails servers to vote for always marking as spam, there appears to be no way to undo the "report as" function.

But it will take much more than a single mistake to have Gmail permanently mark the email address as spam, as above. It would take many people over several days, according to Google Groups.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online