1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Go Hip" uninstall trouble

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by thom1112, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thom1112

thom1112 Thread Starter

I have/had "Go Hip" on my home computer and everytime I'd open up IE, it would pop up and so I went to Go Hip Customer Service and did the removal instructions. Now I can't open IE anymore...it says "cannot find server or DNS Error". No matter what I try, this is the response. Any help out there?? Thanks.

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

I <b>think</b> Go Hip put it's own HOSTS file on your drive do a Start>Find>Files and Folders >type "hosts" (no quotes)>if you find a hosts WITHOUT an extention Rt click and rename it HOSTS.OLD
    You can ignore any hosts with an extension eg. hosts.sam or llmhosts.sam they are SAMples.
    Edit---------- see more here DARN IT--GOHIP

3. thom1112

thom1112 Thread Starter

I tried what I thought was correct on that host thing...I guess I may not have done it right because it didn't help. Also, I went to the other suggestion in "DarnIt-GoHip" and the IE download didnt work. Help! thanks....

4. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

I'm a little confused by the line
    .Were you able to get the Gohip Removal tool or not?? If you didn't get/run it; I have a copy I can post here if you need (or Email to you)
    Also if you haven't already get; and run <b>Spybot S&D</b>.. Get it here

5. thom1112

thom1112 Thread Starter

re:confusion about "and the IE download didn't work"; in your first response to me there was a line below your response that says: Edit----see more here DARN IT--GOHIP (underlined)
    So I went there and it gave me a IE 6 to reload/download. But my computer wouldn't let me do it.
    I'm confused by your question about Gohip removal tool? What am I doing with that? (Talk down to me..)
    Also, what's the Spybot S&D thing....I tried to copy it to a floppy and it said file too large. Thanks.

6. $teve

$teve

thom........go here:
    http://beam.to/spybotsd
    download "spybot search and destroy"
    update and run the program....have it delete everything highlighted inRED

7. $teve

$teve

and.......welcome to T.S.G. thom;)

8. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

thom
    Well sorry to say your last post still didn't clear up my confsion AMOF it has gotten a little worse..there is no IE download on Sandi's page.
    +++++++++++++++COPY of Darnit--Gohip+++++++++++++++
    Removing GOHIP auto-signature, search page and home page
    Microsoft have issued KB articles regarding GoHip and Outlook Express

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q255/7/20.asp

How to Remove the GoHip.com Browser Enhancement

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q305660

Gohip also have their own removal page.

http://www.gohip.com/remove_browser_enhancement.html

Just in case it disappears, I have stored the removal programme for download <u>here</u> +++ invalid link edited out+++++

Gohip.com has placed a file in your Windows directory that sets your autosignature, changes your search page, and sets your home page. This executable is called winstartup.exe.

To stop this from happening, remove the file from my C:\windows directory and also uncheck it from the Startup tab in MSCONFIG. (In MSCONFIG it may show up as c:\windows\winsta~1.exe)

This is why you should read the fine print before downloading anything
    ++++++++++++++++++++++END COPY++++++++++++++++
    but hopefully you've now got Spybot running and don't need these...If you still need the Gohip Removal Tool I can still post or mail it.
    PS Oh Yeah Welcome to the Forum..I didn't even notice first time

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice