1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Go to first new post"?

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 23, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

What is this "Go to first new post" that occasionaly precedes the title of every thread.

Why is it there and how can I prevent its from popping up?

2. deuce

deuce

To the best of my knowledge, it brings to the "first new post" that was posted to that particular thread since the last time you logged off the site. If there have been no posts since you last logged off, then it won't have the arrow. If you leave your computer on 24x7 and leave TSG in a window, then no threads will have it. This explanation seems to work most of the time, but every now and then it seems to not work that way. Was that just about right Mike?

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Good job, deuce... Except that the 24 hour thing won't work. You have to do something every 900 seconds (if I remember correctly) in order to stay active and logged in.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

If this is the case, then I think the display of those words is an unintended result caused by some programming glitch.

It doesn't always display when I log on, just sometimes. It is just kind of annoying when I am reading the titles of the posts.

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    I'm afraid I don't understand... it's not supposed to show up all of the time, only on threads that have new posts since you've last logged in.

6. deuce

deuce

Oh ok that is real good to know. Sometimes I accidentally leave a web page open to TSG and go somewhere else and think people are seeing me on a particular board for hours upon hours, and then would determine that I have no life but to sit here 24 hours a day. (no offense intended to anyone who does) Yesterday I was responding to a few threads and then decided to pop in to the random board to post at the rambling discussion thread before leaving for a party and left it in the random board... and the whole time at the party I kept wanting to come back home for a minute just to log off so I wasn't sitting in the random board. I just wish I knew that last night... oh well. :)

7. deuce

deuce

Opps I forgot about this thread so I already posted this in a different thread:

Ok I think I figured that thing with show new posts button. So it is only on threads with new posts since you last logged on?... and you are automatically logged off after 900 seconds of inactivity?... so then you can log off and log back on and not know it and then miss some of the "show new posts" links? Ok just checking.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice