1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GoBack - System Restore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GoJoAGoGo, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    If I install GoBack will it conflict with the System Restore feature that is in Windows ME? Should I disable System Restore, or can both GoBack and System Restore work together?

Thanks

2. twisted_mind

twisted_mind

I think u can disable the system restore function that is inbuilt in ME. I've done the same for XP Pro,havent used ME for well over a year now so i dont know the exact way u shud disable system restore,but it is definately possible. Anyways, when i had ME, i still had it disabled. As an advice,use GoBack...ME's system restore betrayed me the one time i desperately needed it. :)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

GoJoAGoGo
    System Restore and GoBack do not play nice together so one or the other should be used and goback may automatically disable system restore during install. If GoBack is your going to be your preferred restore utility then disable System Restore. To disable system restore go to start\control panel\system\performance\file system\trouble shooting and place check mark in appropriate box.

Caution: Once you click Apply and then OK your previous restore points are gone forever.

Dave

4. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    twisted_mind - davey:

Thanks for your quick response. I ordered Norton System Works Pro 2003 yesterday mainly for the Ghost program and I'm considering using the GoBack program in place of System Restore. Just wanted to verify if the two programs may bump heads if I run them together. I'll go ahead and disable System Restore before I install GoBack.

Thanks again...

:cool:

5. Brockman

Brockman

Go Back is definetly better than system restore, it actually works.

6. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    That's good news. I've had problems after running System Restore with NAV causing a big time error. Basically I avoid using System Restore because of this problem with NAV. Symantec has a fix for this error but only for versions of NAV 2000-2002, 2003 doesn't have a fix except to uninstall and reinstall NAV after you get this error. No thank you as this is too much of a hassle to do.

;)

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

GoJoAGoGo
    Out of curiosity what error is happening to you with NAV 2003? Is it the old problem of definition dates out of sinc that required using the hawking tool?

Dave

8. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Yes, it's the same error I got when I used NAV 2001:

Norton Auto-Protect unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files.

Hawking Tool does not work with NAV 2003. Uninstall and reinstall is the only fix Symantec has so far. (n)

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

GoJoAGoGo
    Hummm..... Hated that error and what a hassle it was before hawking tool! Now it is rearing its head again with 2003\2004 versions and hawking does not work you say!
    I have 2003 currently and have not experienced it yet... knock on wood!
    All makes sense now to discontinuation of hawking tool.
    Launch of WinME Symantec has big problem with system restore trashing its NAV engine. Symantec denies problem for nearly a year. Symantec accepts problem and creates Hawking tool to make life easier when problem occurs. Root problem never gets resolved. Symantec purchases GoBack from Roxio in late 2001\early 2002. Symantec releases 2003 NAV but hawking tool no longer works but offers GoBack packaged for sale as a replacement for System Restore.
    Wonder how much money they will make propagating a software bug in NAV and offering GoBack as a replacement for System Restore!

Dave

10. raybro

raybro

Ahhh... The politics of Corporate America. Ain't it just wonderful. What does one do to get a star on ones chart this week... WHATEVER ONE MUST!

davey7549... You sound cynical enough to have been exposed to it. As retired engineer from aerospace, I can relate. I don't think about it much since I'm no longer subjected to it on a daily basis. :D

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Raybro
    Yes I have seen it many times in Corporations and didn't like! Cynical maybe but I guess that is the name of the game!
    How about this one...... standard cost of part .01, list price of part 5.00, since all parts have minimum charge, irregardless of order minimum or dollar value! So if you by a widget that costs 200.00 a front panel replacement stud costs 5.00 plus shipping and handling of course.
    Or designing and wear testing items so they fail just above warrenty coverage. Mind you the item is critical for function but not costly enough to compel upgrading!

The list goes on and on!

Dave

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice