God Help Me! My Boot Sector is Gone!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BPM

Please Help! Urgent Help Required!

Hi There,

For some unknown reason, turned my computer on today only to have my computer tell me no OS found and I cannot access my C: I suspect the boot partition is corrupt or wiped clean. How can I restore my boot sector (or create a new one), without formating the whole drive. I know the information is there because when I was about to format the drive using my proprietary hard drive software, it asked me if I was okay with losing all my information. Information that up to this point, I was not sure was still there.

So how to I get a boot sector with out reformating the whole drive?

Please help.

By the way, windows 98 and a Maxtor 10GB HD in case that info is helpful.

Waiting for a response...

BPM

Try booting with your startup floppy.
See if you can see anything on c drive.

BPM

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. No C: detected. That is why I believe the boot sector is corrupt. Looking for a way to restore the boot sector without a full reformat. Any ideas?

Oh oh. When the computer first boots there is
usually a cmos message when it checks memory
and hard drives and such. Does yours show
anything like that?

BPM

Ya, all that stuff shows okay. MY SCSI bios runs too. When it comes to checking for the drive though, it can't find C: It does find my second drive, calls it c: but there is no OS on that drive. I disconnected the 2nd drive, and now it can't find any drive. That would be consistent with zero boot sector. A drive cannot be recognized if its boot sector is absent.

You still should be able to see c drive even if
your mbr is gone when you boot from floppy.
The mbr is what the computer uses to boot
the hard drive. It's not necessary if you are
booting from a floppy.

BPM

Cables for the second drive are disconnected. Even the power. I know the IDE cable and interface is okay, because the CD-ROM is slave on the same cable as drive 1. When I boot from floppy, it tells me there is no FAT 32 partition and lists some possible causes and proceeds to load some standard DOS/Windows diagnostic tools. It puts this info on its own partition that the boot disk creates. Beyond that partition and the files it loads, the entire drive is invisible. Even fdisk dosn't work.

Oh oh. Have you tried going into the bios and
see if something has been changed?

I'm sorry, I have nothing else to add. If the bios
doesn't recognize the hard drive and the cables
are ok... I would say the hard drive is shot.
But wait a bit for someone else to answer. These
guys usually have an answer for everything.

ETS

If everything in the Bios is OK then your C drive is still listed there, right?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online