Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

God Help Me! My Boot Sector is Gone!

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  art miller 
#1 ·
Please Help! Urgent Help Required!

Hi There,

For some unknown reason, turned my computer on today only to have my computer tell me no OS found and I cannot access my C: I suspect the boot partition is corrupt or wiped clean. How can I restore my boot sector (or create a new one), without formating the whole drive. I know the information is there because when I was about to format the drive using my proprietary hard drive software, it asked me if I was okay with losing all my information. Information that up to this point, I was not sure was still there.

So how to I get a boot sector with out reformating the whole drive?

Please help.

By the way, windows 98 and a Maxtor 10GB HD in case that info is helpful.

Waiting for a response...

BPM

#5 ·
Ya, all that stuff shows okay. MY SCSI bios runs too. When it comes to checking for the drive though, it can't find C: It does find my second drive, calls it c: but there is no OS on that drive. I disconnected the 2nd drive, and now it can't find any drive. That would be consistent with zero boot sector. A drive cannot be recognized if its boot sector is absent.

#8 ·
Cables for the second drive are disconnected. Even the power. I know the IDE cable and interface is okay, because the CD-ROM is slave on the same cable as drive 1. When I boot from floppy, it tells me there is no FAT 32 partition and lists some possible causes and proceeds to load some standard DOS/Windows diagnostic tools. It puts this info on its own partition that the boot disk creates. Beyond that partition and the files it loads, the entire drive is invisible. Even fdisk dosn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.