1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

God, I hate facebook!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by jiml8, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jiml8

jiml8 Guest Thread Starter

Today, while visiting a website I have never visited before (talking about features of certain obscure routers), I found my name and my facebook profile picture on the page, with a "like" button.

Well, that creeped me out, particularly since I browse through privoxy, run noscript in Firefox, and follow a minimal permissions model; all scripts are denied unless explicitly permitted. Further, facebook scripts are ALWAYS explicitly blocked unless I happen to have a browser open to the facebook site AND I happen to be posting something there. So howthehell does facebook know I'm at this site?

Turns out that facebook is encouraging sites to use an iframe which invokes a facebook php page which gives away the store. I'm not totally certain how the facebook page identifies me; can't be IP address, because I followed up by browsing the same web page from Firefox running in a virtual machine on this same hardware, and facebook didn't recognize me.

So I had to update my privoxy rules to always block the url www. facebook. com/ plugins/ like.php (note: broken up so it won't be a live link in this message), AND I updated noscript in firefox to always block iframes.

The internet is becoming one giant privacy violation, facebook is one of the very worst offenders, and it is very hard to keep up with all their stunts to extract information in spite of my explicitly stated preferences. We need some laws about this.

As for why I even have a facebook account if I view them this way, my cousins love the site and they are mostly thousands of miles away. So this is a very convenient way to keep track of them, and them of me.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Surely Facebook just identifies you through the cookie stored on your machine, which the virtual machine won't have access to. It would almost be worth having a facebook-exclusive browser (in a sandbox, a different browser, or a different firefox profile) to prevent that from happening.

Alternatively have you looked into any of the specific Facebook blocker add ons?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/block-facebook-widgets-buttons-web/

3. jiml8

jiml8 Guest Thread Starter

Duh...yeah... Cookies...that has to be it. Brain fart on this end, I guess...

I installed that firefox plugin; we'll see how it works.

4. bp936

bp936

Don't know which one is worse, Facebook or Google.
    I have everything set to ask me. So Why do I get invitations from strangers in gmail ? And why do other people get invitations from me? I only allow one person to look at my facebook page, also a relative whose page I am supposed to look at for family pictures.
    I do not want anyone invited to share anything on facebook, I will delete my profile.
    And by the way, I do not use my real name or anything real, but it still arrives at a real email address also. So who is spying? Not that I have any secrets, I am just paranoid, if this can be done, then anything can be transferred onto my computer behind my back. I do have a lot of protection but since it looks legit to my Antimalware programs, what is on my computer?
    I second that, I hate facebook.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Just be sure that you properly delete the account. If you disable it (which is the only button that's publically available.) they keep all your data "just in case" you want to come back.

The page that you'd need to remove it properly is found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

Whether they can be trusted to actually delete if you do it this way is anyone's guess.
    I use facebook to stay in contact with a few good friends from around the world, but I don't trust it.
    It has one picture -- my avatar here -- and has little more than basic information. Actually, I think TSG knows more about me than facebook. :D

6. bp936

bp936

thank you for the link, Ent.
    Same here, TSG knows me better, and facebook won't know me, and I don;t trust them to delete my profile either.
    I wish my friends would remember ICQ and use it, I trusted that one better, facebook seems to be for teenagers, who like to smear each other. It is not a site for me. Who really cares what one does every minute?

7. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Heh, careful, there are teenagers on this site too.
    But then some of us don't think smearing each other is worth it. Nor that what somebody does (or what silly line they think is pure 100% Shakespeare incarnate) every minute matters in the least.

8. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus

IDK how but i agree with the whole privacy violation concept of what the net has become. That was the original basis of facebook BTW. To get as many people as possible to post their info freely by lying to them about it being protected then selling it.
    Just now my FF browser told me I logged into this site over an unencrypted page. How? I know I picked up something by using proxy servers to access British TV but I'm still flumoxed. I can log in with IE but IDK if its also on an unencrypted page. Anyway you are right about needing laws. It is very disconcerting that it gets where it does even though I operate on the idea that everything I do is watched. Paranoid? Maybe but its a simple fact that we have very little control over how others behave. It has become the proforma status of those educated well enough to know and do things most of us cannot to act as if they are more equal than the rest of us. The idea of the basic equality of man has nearly died.
    A lot of people who are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to achieve educated status are just normal folks but those who think they are better seem to be in ascendancy and are changing laws to accomodate themselves.
    Wish I was better educated in IT and how to protect myself.

Oh yea whats the deal with the Google Chrome ad that keeps popping up each time I change pages on TSG?

9. bp936

bp936

sorry, I just heard too many horror stories about facebook and teenagers. I didn't mean anyone here,
    I am just as mad as anyone, who cares about invasion of privacy, how far it has deteriorated.

10. hewee

hewee

Do search here for user "hewee" and "cookies" and I have many threads on how to take control of your Firefox, Netscape or Mozilla cookies.

That will kill All Cookies by default unless you gave them rights.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice