1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Goes to sleep and won't work after that

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by seeburg220, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seeburg220

seeburg220 Thread Starter

Dell Dimesion E520 with Vista

I posted this in Vista, because the nice lady in India told me that there is an issue with Vista and my new computer. This issue causes the computer to stop working when it goes into sleep mode. The screen comes back on and the mouse moves, but there is no functionality.

In fact, if you click re-start, it doesn't reboot; it just sits there. The only way to fix it, is to hold the on/off button down until the machine turns off (hard stop?). Then it will re-boot and work, but putting it to sleep or letting it go to sleep, it takes a "fatal nap":confused:

Are they working on a fix for this, or was I written-off by the nice lady in India?

Mark

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's probably not as rare as you think and as far as desktop PC harware goes it has been a problem to some degree since Windows 95

Standby and Hibernation mode in Windows is really only suited to Laptop hardware, which is usually optimised to support it, and drivers are usually compliant to allow it.

In my personal experience since the modes first emerged in Windows many years ago, only a small % of desktop PC's I have had (and thats about 16 now) have supported it reliably, though all the 5 laptops have been OK.

Of interest is the fact that the 2 most recent Acer desktop PC's running Vista do go in and out of Standby just fine, but I really don't expect it to last, though I never by preference use that mode anyway. I am sure that after a few driver updates (the usual cause of them dying in their sleep) they would be just as unreliable as well.

In my view, it's a case of "if it works it's fine, if not then don't use the mode" for desktop hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice