Going analog into a digital-only PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Larry_Dunn

My new PC has only a digital input in -- it doesn't have an analog connection. Problem is that many of my older camcorder tapes are analog, and the camcorder that plays them doesn't have a firewire or USB out plug of any kind -- just the normal analog plugs. So I can't use my DVD software to copy these and then burn them as DVDs to preserve them.

Is there some kind of analog convertor I can use to plug my analog camcorder into the 1394 plug in my PC? Thanks in advance.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There are a number of solutions to this issue. The thing you need is a video capture PCI card or USB/Firewire video capture adapter. I have the Adaptec VideoOh! and a Dazzle DVC-80 model in the closet, as well as an ATI video capture/TV tuner card.

Larry_Dunn

JohnWill said:
The thing you need is a video capture PCI card or USB/Firewire video capture adapter.
The adapter sounds more user friendly. Will that work on a camcorder that doesn't have a USB port? This only has the analog plugs for video out.

Cool broomhandle avatar, BTW.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, that's what the video capture function is, analog video to digital. You obviously need the correct cables, but they may come with the board/adapter, or you might already have them. If you want sound as well, you need those cables too. Take a look around on www.pricewatch.com and search for video capture and do a little research. When you find one you like, post a link here and we'll let you know what we think.

Actually, the avatar is an Astra 900, but I do have a Mauser Broomhandle and stock too. The Astra is a Spanish copy of the roomhandle, though the internals are quite different. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online