going from non -raid to raid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Swiper

Ok
Windows XP on a Serial ATA 80 gig drive is the current setup

Would like to add another 80 gig Serial ATA drive to it and set up a RAID on it
The RAID i want to set up is a " mirror " type

(for fault tolerance purposes)

Is it possible to set up the RAID (onboardRAID), with the current installation of windows or will a wipe clean/re-format of windows be needed to get it set up properly??

somehow, i don't think it will work and I will be forced to do a raid setup/format / re-install of the OS

thanks
Swiper

"somehow, i don't think it will work and I will be forced to do a raid setup/format / re-install of the OS"

You're right.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, if you have a 3rd drive, say an external, you don't have to do a reinstall.

Install the RAID drivers on your current installation of Windows, even though you don't have the RAID controller enabled yet.

Use a product like Acronis True Image to make an image of the current installation onto the 3rd "backup" drive. It can be either an external USB/Firewire drive or another internal.

Install the two disks, use the RAID BIOS to build the RAID array.

Restore the disk image to the RAID array using the same imaging utility.

This is how I have set up two machines here, works like a champ.

Swiper

thank for the tip !!!!

I dig out an old 10gig drive I have to store the image and try it out !!!

I'll let you know how I make out.

Swiper

Update:

Thanks for the tip Johnwill , very much appreciated.

I used Acronis to 'clone' the current disk to and old 25 gig I had
Had some issues with motherboard and the RAID that a Flash of the BIOS fixed up

I then, booted off of my 25 gig drive (unplugged the 80gig) to ensure I have a properly cloned disk
Success
Then i rebooted, set up the 80 gig RAID / Mirror and loaded up windows from 25 gig
Updated the RAID controller drivers
Cloned back to the RAID set and booted up with no problems.

Thanks again.
Swiper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online