1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going from win95 to win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by canadagail, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. canadagail

canadagail Thread Starter

Have searched the forum for a similiar question but,.....can't seem to find it. Here is my dilemma. I have 2 computers, 1 that has win95,...my first puter, and have 2nd that has winxp. I am trying to upgrade win95 to win98. I have all the cd's,....win95, win98, winme and winxp which are all legit and mine. I would love to upgrade without losing all my info on win95 but when I try to install my win98se cd,...says I need the upgrade cd. I feel I have paid enough and know there is another way around this without formatting, there is no cd buring drive in the win95 puter or I would save my info that way. So, if there is anyone out there that can advise me on a nice, stressless way to upgrade with my full version cd I would be forever grateful.

:confused: Gail

2. brindle

brindle

3. canadagail

Thanks Brindle, went and read and,.....well the problem is that I do not have the 98 upgrade cd,...only the full version. I can install it providing I do it from a clean install but want to keep my stuff on the puter. Tooooo simple for sure. I just thought or seem to think there is some way you can use the full version and make it believe it is the upgrade cd.

Thanks again, will read franks tips as well, there just may be something somewhere.

Gail

4. brindle

brindle

Installing 98 over 95 should not cause a loss of 95 programs or files. You can not go from 95 to 98se though. If you did a clean install of 98 you then would lose all programs and files you had in 95.
    Here is another article to read that will help you decide.
    Before you install 98 over 95 be sure you have your product key (25 digit) available.

5. canadagail

Just got home from work,......and as I work I am able to surf the net, as long as it is puter related, and by golly this sure is. I managed to find something right at the end of my shift, actually there is a way you can bypass it. You need a startup disk, you need to go in and rename the file winn.com to whatever you wish, that is the file that it looks for and then tells you you need the upgrade cd so,...change that file to winn.old and poof,...the cd can't find it and everything is suppose to smoothly install. Sounds pretty good don't you think? lol I am going to give it a try as I have no more money to lose. Thanks for all your help and quick response, its good to know there is someone here at a moments notice.
    Cheers,
    Gail

6. brindle

brindle

I've never had to do that, so please let us know how it went.
    brett

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Brindle:

Thanks for referring her to my site.

I upgraded my 7-year old desktop from Windows 95 OSR2 to Windows 98SE about 4 years ago by using an upgrade CD.

CanadaGail:

You're talking about the WIN.COM file. Renaming it WIN.OLD is the most common way of doing it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice