1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going from Win98 to WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ND Grizz, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ND Grizz

ND Grizz Thread Starter

I am converting from a Win98 computer to a new Win XP computer.
    Old 80 gb HD contains 10 partitions in FAT32 format.
    New 160gb HD has 2 partitions, Drive C: 144gb in NTFS format and Drive D: 4.75gb in FAT32 format.
    I would like to remove the old 80gb drive and install it in the new computer.
    -- How will my partitions in the old drive show up on the new computer?
    -- Should I leave the files and partitions as they are in FAT32 format, or is it necessary to copy the files to new Drive C:, then reformat the 80gb drive and re-partition it before copying back.
    -- Does XP come with partitioning software?
    -- If not, do you have any recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. lister

lister

As long as the old HDD is set to slave, It should work fine.

As for formatting - I assume one of the 5 partitions hac Win98 on it?

Personally I would copy any data that I wanted to keep and then reformat the old drive (NTFS if you don't need Fat32) and create new partitions - XP can do this, but the HDD manufacturer will probably have a utility to download that will do it faster and more reliably.

3. buf

buf

If you like Win98 (SE?) you might want to consider dual booting with Win XP. I did that on an older machine that I have now replaced---and now running XP Pro only. I had 98SE on the old machine and just installed XP Pro. 98 has to be installed ahead of XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!