1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going from Wireless to Wires.. Need Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chibahawk, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Okay I will detail this fully.. Yesterday I had a wireless-g connection from my basement to my bedroom. Today I took 100ft. of Cat5e and ran it from an internet slot on my wireless router to my PC's ethernet port..

However the PC upstairs doesn't detect the signal. My router does have a green light on the internet slot that I plugged the cable into but I must be missing something on my upstairs PC. I installed my onboard nVidia ethernet driver but still don't get a connection. Maybe there's something I don't know how to do regarding a wireless router's Wired connections, does the PC need the routers software installed or something?

Confused :confused:

III III III III III III III III

thats how i crimped em.. both sides of the wire

oh and i went to CMD.. ran IPCONFIG /release, then IPCONFIG /renew

i got this on the renew step..

"Error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Network Connection 2, unable to contact your DHCP server. Request Timed Out."

Also my only network connections listed is the onboard ethernet.. and it shows that I have a 100Mbps connection through the wire so my wireless connection is gone.. but I still cannot access the internet..

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are the lights on the NIC blinking?

3. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

yes they're on..

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Have you run the "Set up a Home Network" widard from My Network Places?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You shouldn't have to run anything or configure anything manually. Try a cable you know works.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Also, you really should follow the standard for ethernet wiring just as a general rule. It will be a lot easier to troubleshoot those wires in the future if you have to.

8. AGCurry

AGCurry

100 feet is close to the length limit for ethernet.

9. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
  10. bbaca

bbaca

The length limit is 100 meters, (about 330 ft), and that is just a number. You could stretch a cable further, but you will suffer loss of performance.

I would try using another cable. Also, check the configuration, type ipconfig at a dos prompt. You should get an setup similar to what you got on the wireless.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/384143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice