1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going insane! Error message 0x0000008E

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rullstolskalas, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rullstolskalas

rullstolskalas Thread Starter

This stop error has been driving me insane! This usually happens when i try to launch exe files, such as games for example. The pc crashes and i get a blue screen with an error message.The error basically says to do a BIOS update or to disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. At the end of the error screen it says physical memory dump.
    Heres the complete error message: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x00000000, 0xA5BBBB44, 0x00000000)

Im running xp home, sp3
    2gb ram
    Intel pentium D 3.20GHz
    Nvidia 7800gtx

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

Rullstolskalas welcome to TSG,

How to post a minidump log

I barrowed this great tutorial from;
    Rollin' Rog
    Moderator with 42,872 posts
    I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

3. rullstolskalas

I looked in the minidump folder on c:\Windows\ but the folder was empty. I have enabled show hidden files and folders.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

You have to set the computer to create one.
    Right-click My Computer => Properties => Advanced => Startup and Recovery section => Settings button.

Check the boxes 'Write an event...' and 'Send administrative alert...'
    Just below, at 'Write debugging information', select 'Small memory dump'
    Restart

At the next blue screen you should get the info.
    Also check the Event Viewer by going to Start => Run and typing in eventvwr.msc
    Maximize the window and look for errors in Application and System at about the time of the crash.
    Double-click on the error and note down what it says, including the EventID.

5. rullstolskalas

Heres the minidump file

Attached Files:

6. Claymore

Claymore

The faulting file is ctaud2k.sys, an audio driver - Creative WDM Audio Device Driver - Creative Audio Product - Creative Technology Ltd

Suggest in Device Manager you uninstall it, restart, and re-install it - presuming you have the installation file.

7. rullstolskalas

I didnt find it, is there another way to remove it?

8. Claymore

Claymore

Just in case we're at cross purposes, I don't mean to unstall just that file, I mean to uninstall your audio drivers, or perhaps it might work if you have the setup files for your audio card, re-install the audio card. But don't delete or uninstall until you have the audio drivers in hand.

9. speed_hog

speed_hog

Many thanks for the help Claymore :)
    I have been studying how to open and read mini dump logs and then help people figure out how to fix the problem for about 3 weeks to broaden my horizons.
    Some can be quite challenging for sure.

10. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Do you have the tools - Debugging Tools for Windows, and Symbol Packages?

11. speed_hog

speed_hog

I have the debugger.
    I haven't downloaded the Symbol Packages yet, what do you recommend as there was a few to choose from.
    Thanks for you time Sincerely :)

12. Claymore

Claymore

13. rullstolskalas

Stupid question, but how do i uninstall the audio drivers? I wasnt the one who installed the drivers so im not sure how to remove them.

14. speed_hog

speed_hog

rullstolskalas,
    Not a stupid Question at all :)
    Go into device manager and on audio hit the plus sign and it will expand... right click on any item and choose Properties and then choose uninstall.
    *You could try to roll the driver back first and see what happens, It can't hurt and restart after you do anything like this.
    If your not sure of which one to do tell us the choices and we can try and help.
    Try to have the latest driver from the manufacturer's web site or the original one from the disc handy for the reinstall after you restart PC.

15. rullstolskalas

Under audio i found these things: Creative game port, creative SB audigy 2 ZS (WDM), Audio-CODEC, Mediacontroldevices, video-CODEC, Older audiodrivers. Which of these do i need to uninstall? And i doubleclicked on creative game port aswell as creative sb audigy 2 zs (wdm) and i could install newer drivers for them. Is it enough to do that or do i need to reinstall completely?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!