1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going nuts trying to watch videos in H.264 and XviD.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by fetus, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fetus

fetus Thread Starter

I have two videos in H.264 and two in XviD that I want to watch. Winamp and WMP both played audio only, so I took a romp at free-codecs.com, and downloaded the DivX player which of course was also no help. Continuing my romp, I downloaded an H.264 codec and it basically unfolded to put a dll file in my system32 folder. WTH do I do with this? I tried getting WMP and Winamp to install it as a plugin by opening it in each program's respective plugin menus but neither one did anything with it (which I expected, but still frustrating). Then I downloaded a program called Core Media Player which claims to support tons of various codecs, including H.264. I like the player but when I try to open the videos in it it says:

OKWTF? What am I supposed to do here? How can I watch these damn videos?

So I gave up and moved on to the XviD ones. Core flat out said it didn't do XviD, so I went back to free-codecs and downloaded the XviD pack, which claims to decode and encode XviD videos and even has a "decoder properties" program but otherwise seems visibly to be just a set of small utilities which have nothing to do with actually decoding or watching the video files, and I can't figure out what they do anyway.

Any thoughts? Anyone? How can I watch these damn things? (The H.264 ones are a more pressing concern.)

Thanks in advance!

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice