Going to clean install XP and need advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kjjb0204

I am currently running ME, much to my dismay. I am going to install XP Pro and I have heard that doing a full install is much better than an upgrade. Besides, I got a full copy of XP Pro for free. I know I need to backup all of my data files to my ZIP drive prior to the install, but what else should I copy or write down from my current settings so that I can reset them on XP? I know I'll have to reinstall all hardware drivers and applications (which I'm sure will be so much fun). I have cable and am afraid I won't be able to get it set up again. Will XP detect the NIC and lead me through the set up for internet access via TCP/IP? Am I in over my head? Thanks!

Depends, on how your Cable modem is set up. Is it set up as DHCP Static? Either way it is really simple. You need to know the answer to that for us to tell you more. Xp, like W2k, have a lot of drivers, the OS should pick up most if not all of the hardware.

XP will configure it all for you.

I have internet sharing through a cable modem, and setting it up in windows 98 was a pain, i didnt have my network card drivers, so couldnt get on net to download them, installed XP, it connected me to the net and configured my net sharing without me doing a thing.

Now thats what i call a OS!

if that is the case you really do not need to do much at all. Load the OS, install the software, plug in your cable and hang on tight. You really do not need to do much with XP, it is really cool. Specially for a wireless network, it picked it up perfectly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online