1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going to school

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pwrbait, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pwrbait

Pwrbait Thread Starter

Hello All,
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured I'd start here and admin could put it where it needs to go.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to start school to become a member of the IT field, but I'm not sure what direction to go. I'm leaning towards getting the MCSE cert and specializing in system security, but am not ruling out getting the CCNA/CCNP certs. or going another route completely. The IT industry is going to be my second career and the bottom line is that I'd like to get into the area of it that needs qualified people the most. My education will be paid for, but I don't want to waste the opertunity by going into a field that is already flooded. So my question is....What discipline in the computer/IT industry needs people the most? BTW I don't think programming is for me. Thanks in advance for the advice, also feel free to e-mail or PM me.
    Thank You
    Pwrbait

2. plucnik

plucnik

Sounds like you're doing what I decided to do a couple of years ago (2nd carreer after almost 30 years in trucking and management). I'd like to hear some insightes as well. As far as a personal observation.....I decided to work toward a MCSE/MSCA because, with a great deal of application, database and web design work being outsoursed out of the US, I figure that knowing how to handle good old network and hardware problems would be more secure. I'm also getting a background in MS Access design, just to have something else on my plate. Hope that this info helps........IT jobs are tight in Chicago just like (from what I hear) everywhere else.

3. yoda0395

yoda0395

If I were you I would look at getting an education that specializes in the health care field. Health care will be one of the few growing industries as more and more Americans get older and are living longer. I have my CCNA, MCSE and several other minor certifications, and they are helpful but not as helpful as they were say 5 years ago. The main reason behind a certification not being worth as much is to many people have a MCSE or CCNA but can't find their *** with both hands. :rolleyes:

4. amphibian

amphibian

The IT field is growing where I live. Its slow growth, but encouraging none the less.
    I was fortunate enough to get a job in the IT field right after graduating from school.
    Its not exactly network administration (PC/LAN troubleshooting), but I have learned a lot and wish to further myself by obtaining MS certs.

5. Canadamatt

Canadamatt

I agree with the others, A LOT is being Outsourced to Overseas and even Canada. I'd get into the habit of getting hands on training because u can't outsource that. I myself do remote software support, which can be replaced by some one overseas for 20 % of what I get payed. But when you deal with people they also want to understand what you are saying, so I guess I'm safe for now lol. Besides wee just moved into a new building too lol. I suggest get the MSCE's and the CCNA and do some Unix and Linux too. CCNP is good too. Good luck with it all.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. plucnik

plucnik

Linux? Nah, I'm going with the guy with the $68 billion :D

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I will stick with the two companies that Microsoft screwed over the past 15 years. Novell and IBM. IBM invested $50 million into Novell when they bought SUSE. I think they are both looking for a little payback. :D

9. matrix1000

matrix1000

Well I'm a network admin and I would suggest going into networking, specifically network security. When you learn networking you will learn a ton about most popular operating systems including servers, how to fix pc hardware, introductory web programming and of course networking. EVERY business that has computers has a network and needs someone to tweak it, fix it, and secure it all the time. Meanwhile you will be helping fix computer problems and instructing users. If you decide to go for an mcse or something like that it will just teach you how to fix a machine, which after even a year networking you will learn how to do yourself, by picking up a few books and reading about mcse etc in your spare time.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice