1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Going wireless overseas

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ozziebeanie, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    I have a friend that is travelling over from Canada to Australia next month and she wants to go wireless on her laptop when she gets here, her laptop is a Compaq Prsario CQ Notebook and is running Vista home basic

I know laptops now have a thing in them where you can connect up to wireless (this is standard now days I think,) with this in mind could she pay for some prepay wireless time and use the wireless thing in her laptop as apposed to buying a wireless usb stick?

I have never used a wireless on a laptop I have with a Desktop but all she would have to do is put in the new details of the pre pay wireless account for it for it to run, is that correct?:confused:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're referring to wireless Internet connections, rather than wireless networking, she'll need to check into the availability of such services in the area she will be traveling to. Such services can be expensive. Many require a long-term contract. Coverage and availability varies greatly by geographical area.

3. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Thanks DoubleHelix yes i did mean wireless Internet, not networking, just wondered if the thing that is in the laptop can be used overseas or does she have to get a wireless usb stick or something from here, and yes wireless is available in the area she is going to, its not inland and places inland can be a bit dodgy, i just needed to know if she put in details of account that would come the prepay wireless could she use what was already in the laptop, as in the hardware side of things that is.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The laptop won't have the necessary adapter to connect to wireless Internet in another country. She'll have to get the adapter from the provider she plans to buy usage from.

5. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    So the wireless capabilities that the laptop already have (hardware wise will not work over here? even if she puts the details in from which ever providor she choses from over here for the three weeks she is here?

i have a usb wireless stick but its in Toowoomba and not planning on going there for a couple of weeks the usb wireless sticks are about 140 odd dollars here i was hoping she would be able to use what hardware wireless wise that the lap top has

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Very few laptops have wireless broadband adapters built-in. Those that do only work with one carrier: either AT&T or Verizon. AT&T might offer an international plan, but I don't believe Verizon does. Regardless, she'd need to check the specifications of the laptop and verify availability with the provider.

I don't know what you're referring to with the term "USB wireless stick".

I think you're confusing wireless networking with wireless broadband. All new laptops include a wireless networking adapter. A wireless broadband adapter would have cost extra and would have required purchasing a plan from a provider.

I'm not familiar with offerings in Australia. But I can speak on the matter generally. The bottom line is you need to verify hardware, software, and pricing requirements with the provider. No one here can do that for you.

7. ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Ah ok, yes I meant to use a USB wireless broadband stick, I have one of those, (for when I was out in the sticks where ADSL was not available to me,) but I don't have it where I am located now, I reckon I will have to get it posted over, as not due back there till after I take her north to where she is having her holiday, I am living between two towns at the moment, till I find full time then will move to the one location and get all my computer equipment in one place for a change.

It’s just with the wireless broadband USB thingy’s they are about $140.00 Australian dollars here. I just did not want her to have the extra expenses for her if it was the case that she did need one of those, so it sounds like she does.

Travel is expensive enough as it is without getting those things on top of everything else, she did enquire about roaming with her blackberry also and if she makes a call in Australia with the phone she has now it will cost 4.00 per min in Canadian money which to me is to pricy so have also got her a spare mobile here for her so she does not have to buy it and she can get prepay cards for it.

Thanks for explaining the difference in what is in the laptops as to what she will need for a different broadband connection here. Just wanted to find out before her arrival rather than leaving it to the last minute.

Thanks again

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/842427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice