1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good admin install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by aero3685, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aero3685

aero3685 Thread Starter

I cant think of how to explain simply.. so heres whats going on.

We built the neighbors a computer, since they had prehistoric thing.

Runs good until the little guy gets on there, clicks popups, downloads and installs stuff. I have had to reinstall windows a month or two ago, and its already locking up again with stupid crap. Not sure if its salvagable or just reinstall again.

By setting his account up as limited isnt enough. Is there any easy way to set the computer up like say.. a school computer, where you cant to anything, it erases stuff and resets when you log off?

Even if all the users are locked down, and only us with an admin password are able to install... that would be better than trying to clean up their computer every other week. Next time I go over there, i will try to d/l HJT and post a log.

2. valis

valis Moderator

that's probably the best way to do it....i've got a few hundred sales ppl out there on my network, and I've had to lock down at least dozen of htem in that exact way. Makes it difficult for them to do their job, but they are making it difficult for me to do mine, so it's a wash. :)

3. aero3685

aero3685 Thread Starter

so just setting everyone as the lowest level of user will do that? guess I'll have to get a HJT log up and see if its salvagable.

4. GoldStar611

GoldStar611

do a search on group policy editor if the computer is nt/2000/xp. It can really lock down a computer (at least to most unknowledgable people).

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, The ideas above will work, but:

If you just want a software solution, try this or something like it:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/product_page.html?page_id=1

Costs $49 for one computer license.

It is non-restrictive while the user is logged on> so, there would have to be some control placed on what you want the youngster to be able to get to, or see I suppose, but that I can't help you with.

This program resets the computer to preset config every time it is restarted. Ideal for kids, but, if they want to permanently install anything, someone else will have to log on to do that, and supervise... There probably is an override or way to temporarily turn off the program, I didn't look that far into it.

There may be other considerations, such as workarounds to create a new account> kids are learning how to do that at amazingly young ages.
    There are probably other apps like this. There may be something free you could get, without learning Linux.

Hope it helps!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice