1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

good comp, bad quality.

Discussion in 'Games' started by msmolinski21, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msmolinski21

msmolinski21 Thread Starter

I recently installed Halo:Combat Evolved and Doom 3 on my computer which I thought was pretty good and would run games really well. Unfortunately, I have to run Doom 3 on 640 resolution and Halo on 800, disabling high quality textures and shadowing, etc. Even then they are still really choppy. I have a P4 2.8 Ghz, Windows xp pro, 512 RAM, 800 Mhz FSB, GeForce FX 5600 128 Mb video card, and plenty of hard drive space. It's really annoying that I paid about a thousand dollars for it and it has really crappy quality. Please send help before I put my head through my monitor. Thanks.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Have you:

Updated your drivers?
    Updated your DirectX?
    Installed SP2?

3. msmolinski21

Yes, Yes, and No. SP 2 causes my system to crash and I uninstalled it. I really don't think that that would be the problem though. One should be able to run games pretty well on SP 1.

4. in3rt!a

in3rt!a

to be honest, thats not the best price for that computer.

i got a 2.1 ghz, 1gb ram, geforce fx 5600xt 256mb, and i got that for 1000. i know i got ripped.

that graphics card isnt the best for todays games. i get about 60 fps max in doom 3, but it doesnt usually go lower than 20 in heated action. HL2 can get bad at times, but again, its usually around 50-70 fps.

might wanna think about upgrading that graphics card.

5. msmolinski21

I don't know much about computers, but I do know that my current system is enough to handle Halo so that it runs better than it is right now. I don't feel the need to upgrade and think that it's something more than bad hardware.

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

A faster videocard would help you, there. The FX5600 is only middle of the road.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/297433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice