1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good Computer Case or Not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BML, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

I've been shopping for a case to build my system around. This one is found at CompUSA and has a 300w PS though not a name brand. I did some digging on the web and actually found a review of this case. I was wondering what some of you guys think of its specs

Case Review

Maybe some of you who have built systems would know if this type of case would make a decent build or not. I want to go with an Athlon XP1500 m/b in it. I don't know if I should buy my own PS to put in it or use the one it comes with, its a brand called Power-Win.

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Like the last page said, 'No room for upgrading'. I personally didn't like the doors on it. The CD holder? Na, I have 30 CD's and I'm not finished buying them. Try to work inside? I didn't see any room to work inside.

Great Price!

Some neat features!

3. BML

BML Thread Starter

I mainly liked it for its outward design, size, screwless access, front panel usb/headphones. I don't plan on doing a huge amount of upgrading as far as adding drives. A lot of the case designs out there now resemble a "commercial" square-box like the ones we have at work. But the extra drive bays are covered by that little "door" thing.

My main concern about it was its internal layout: ease of wiring, airflow etc.

Oh, and the little CD holder - well I know that's a little gimmick, I wasn't planning on actually USING it! I think some of the HP cases out today have a place for their rescue disk. but my backup spans a dozen disks!

Has anyone ever heard of a "Power-Win" power supply?

4. slipe

slipe

I like the idea of the little holder to keep the Windows CD and other stuff you need often. Too big and its just another space hog – 5 CDs seems about right to me for something that is built in and taking internal space from the case.

I found it interesting that the review said it comes with extra long CD-ROM cables so it could be opened without disconnecting the cables. I was under the impression that the standard length 18” cable was also the maximum recommended length. If the easy open feature is dependent on the longer cables you might solicit some opinion on using the longer cables.

I couldn’t live with 2 X 5 ¼ bays. 3 is bare minimum IMHO and 4 or 5 preferable. My current case has 3 and I’m going to have to remove something to install a DVD drive. My next case is going to have at least 4 X 5 ¼ drive bays. I could get by with the 4 X 3 1/2 but would prefer more. There are mid-tower cases that give you more bays without having to go to a full tower.

It doesn’t appear to have a case cooling fan. With an Athlon you will have to do surgery to add one if you want a nice cool running system.

The power supply should work fine.

Take a look through some of these: http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=7&DEPA=1 There are cases with more bays and built in case fans in the price range you are looking at. Front USB too.

You don’t think you are going to upgrade it, but that isn’t the same as adding simple drives as technology emerges. Get a third bay. That easy opening case could be a nightmare if you have to limit yourself to 18” cables, and I’ve heard of people having problems with longer ones.

5. Rockn

Rockn

Not enough room to upgrade and looks like it would get really hot if you were ever enclined to overclock. Need a case with some airflow in it. Here is my favorite....as soon as I get a few duckets I am upgrading:

http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/sohoser.html

6. stanggt2

stanggt2

go to www.pricewatch.com and check out some of these case that they have listed plus at a great price

7. Hamill

Hamill

I recently bought a case to throw a XP 1800 in. It is make by future power and is the opal400 model. I got it off ebay for $40 bucks. It has a 400 watt psu amd and intel certified, came with 1 case fan and i put an extra 1 in it. It has front usb ports. It is plain looking but I am very happy with it. Runs very cool.
    Peace,
    Hamill

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice