1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good computer gone bad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris52, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

Let me try this one more time. I have very limited knowledge on computers and always seem to have a problem, so he is my new delima. A few months back, I slicked my hard drive and attempted to start a new, only I didn't realize that I did not have the driver disks that came with my computer and that is very bad. I go windows 98se loaded and what drivers could be loaded from it, now I am having trouble with some of the hardware. I can't load anything through the floppy disk or the CD Rom or CD Writer drives. I have at least 4 unknown devices in the device manager and I am unable to play any music through my computer. I did have musicmatch on before and I downloaded it again, but can not play anything. I tried to download drivers for my CD drives and after using the dos based driver loader program that came with the download, I get this on start up...
    IBM
    Starting Windows 98
    LITE-ON IDE CD-ROM DEVICE DRIVER VERSION 2.1
    COPYRIGHT (C) LITE-ON TECH CORP 1994-1996 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
    PRIMARY MASTER
    PRIMARY SLAVE
    SECONDARY MASTER CDWRITER IDE 8X32 1.5
    SECONDAR SLAVE_

and then it just stops. It will not start unless I use the step by step start up and answer no to any question aboout my cd drives. My computer is as follows..
    IBM 227020U
    System # 02627016220160
    Win 98se
    566 intel celeron
    40 gig HD
    CDWriter IDE8X32
    Lite-On CD-ROM LTN 485S

If anyone can be of any help, it would be great. Thank you in advance.

2. n2gun

n2gun

3. chris52

chris52 Thread Starter

Thanks for the zip, but now I can not get my floppy to do anything. I have no idea what is going on here. I think my computer is looking in my CDRom for my OS on start up and I have a CDRW and a CDRom I can not use and when I try to play someting with Musicmatch, i get the error "waveout format not supported". What does that mean. If anyone can help, it would be great. Thanks

4. SoulBlade

SoulBlade

Sounds like a soundcard problem there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/105724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice