1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good cpu cooler for AMD FX-8150 + high profile ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beret, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beret

Beret Thread Starter

Recently been having issues with the CPU temp. The pc will just shut down and my CPU is insanely hot. I've just installed 2 new 120mm case fans, one in and one out which helped some but I think i might have set the CPU wrong or something because even after applying new paste and wiping off the old one with rubbing alcohol, the CPU is still getting immensly hot.

The problem might stem from the fact I once tried to put the cpu chip in backwards and got paste all over the plastic socket for the motherboard and the pin got bent. However the pin was put back into place and I am certain the chip sat down correctly.. however now my pc starts at around 105~ F degrees which is a little hot.

I need someone to suggest a good cooler less than 60~ preferably that won't interfere with my high profile ram. Also, should i just buy i need to buy 2 more fans. I think my case allows 120 and 140 mm. Should I replace the stock fans that came or should I just get new ones for the two empty case fan slots?

Mobo: Asus m5a97
    gpu: gtx 660ti
    cpu: amd fx-8150
    case: CM 690

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I think you have damaged the cpu and or the mb. The 8150 is not what you would call a cool running cpu however with the stock fan it should run in the mid 40s or so.

To answer your original question, I have had very good luck with the coolermaster 212 type hsf. On an overclocked 4.4gig] fx8350 it keeps the temp in the high 20s to mid 30s in normal use. When gaming or running prime95, it will get up to the low 50s.

Note these coolers are pretty large so do check your case depth to make sure you have adequate room.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice