Good distro for a Toshiba L300?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stuartnz

A non-techie friend has an L300 that needs a new OS, thanks to someone loading a pirated Win7 on to it badly. He did not know it was pirated and wants to go legal, and cheap, so I'm looking for recommendations for a newbie-friendly distro that "just works" with the L300's spec.s, as far as possible. I don't mind making a few tweaks myself, but the goal is a simple 2nd machine for basic surfing and emailing etc. All recommendations welcome, thanks!

stuartnz

Thanks for the super quick reply. I'll definitely check that one out.

stuartnz

Thanks again for the tip about Zorin - nice looking distro for the purpose AND its Live DVD picked up that critical HDD failure was imminent, confirmed when an attempt to actuall install failed due to read/write errors in too many sectors

leroys1000

Banned
No problem.
I check out different linux distros periodically and that
one looked good for basic stuff,has a nice interface,
is already setup for multimedia and can use gnome
themes to dress it up.
Pretty neat and good for someone new to linux too..

Never checked out Zorin maybe I will have to give it a spin someday in a VM. I was about to suggest Linux Mint myself.

nickg5, that is really the best advice anyone has given so far; mad props to you my friend.

Just a head's up...

Toshiba BIOS's are not terribly Linux friendly and official Toshiba support forums are outwardly hostile to Linux enthusiasts.

A little warning from a Linux user and former Toshiba owner.

Wouldn't expect anything less. Canon never even replied to my email regarding Linux drivers for my printer, all I wanted to know is on which of their Asian sites the drivers were hosted. Guess I should have bookmarked it the first time, it was a pain to track down via Google. Maybe running the drivers for Linux is a privilege for only Canon customers in Asia ;-)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online