1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good drive failed hard disk test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reffilyn, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reffilyn

reffilyn Thread Starter

My computer was working fine, it turned off fine. Later when I turned it back on it wouldn't go past the black windows logo screen with the loading bar. Then every time I turned it on I got the improper shut down screen. None of the safe mode or configuration options would run. I tried all the boot options and none would work. Tried using start up disks and couldn't get repair or anything to work. Got a message that windows couldn't find mass storage device and HDD test had read failure. Everything pointed to a bad drive. For the heck of it I tried windows reinstall and it worked, even tho I lost my info. So I don't understand why a working drive would suddenly become inoperable when it's really not. What would do this? Don't want it to happen again

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    You can read a lot of conversations here at TSG to give some answers....(y) There are many ways a computer can go bonkers, especially the age of components...;)

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Actually, the hard drive is probably failing. If the drive electronics are going south, you may see some intermittent errors on the drive followed by periods where it appears to work OK for a while. Make a bootable CD for the drive diagnostics that your HDD manufacturer supplies, and run a full test on the drive. Those test results are pretty reliable. If the drive passes, you may have a failing motherboard. Your original post isn't very clear, but if you couldn't boot from CD/DVD drives, that would suggest MOBO issues, but I think you meant you couldn't boot from the hard drive with standard options.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice