1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good drive imaging program to backup multiple systems with an ext. drive? Free?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moparmaniac, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moparmaniac

moparmaniac Thread Starter

Hey guys...I am trying to find a solution to a problem that I'm having. At work we have about 6 PC's that I would like to make drive images for in case of drive failues. I was wanting to use an external drive for the backups and was looking for a one touch feature but I don't think it would work with multiple machine backups.

I was trying to avoid having to install software on each machine to perform these backups.

So what I was thinking of doing is trying to find a program that can reside on the external drive and will run from there.

Does anyone know of a free reliable imaging program that will do this?

I had found one at one time that did just this and worked great but I can't remember for the life of me the name of the program!

Any help or ideas appreciated!!

Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest that you spend some money and buy a real commercial drive imaging applications. Hard to imagine you can't afford a decent application for a work environment.

3. moparmaniac

That would be great but the company isn't paying for any of this....they have network servers for backups..but they're unreliable and a bit flaky from past experiences...so I'm taking matters into my own hands so to speak. Plus we only used them for files not entire drive images. I'd agree with you if I wasn't paying for it myself.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The only free thing you are going to find is DriveImageXML.

But the new Windows Home Server would be a perfect solution for you.

I doubt you will find anything free that will do a full image backup over the network.

5. moparmaniac

I looked at DriveImageXML...that might just do what I need!

We won't be doing image backups over the network..just to an external USB HDD.

Thanks again!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice