Good fiction books

ekim68

Mike
I'm reading Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce and basically it's about Street Cops in a Fictional Land. I just had to smile when I came across this diatribe by one of the Main Characters who got beat up and couldn't go on a job.. :cool:

"Scummer, pox, and wound rot!" Roared Tunstall, slapping his fist down on the bed. "Gods curse the pig-tarsed mammering craven currish beef-witted bum-licking gut-griping louts that did this to me! May every flea, leech, and hookworm in all creation find and feast on them!"
:cool:

Gr3iz

Mark
Clifford D. Simak -- The Complete Short Fiction

There are several volumes. I'm on the second one now. Rally good science fiction writer! I can really visualize the story, as if I'm watching a movie in my head! Few writers can command the English language that well, IMHO. Some stories are better than others, but generally good stuff! Most of these strories had been entries in the old sci-fi magazines of the 40s and 50s.

Reactions: RT
Right now I'm reading 'The Constant Gardener' by John Le Carre. About a ¼ way through it. Good story! Previously 'The Night Manager' by Le Carre also, a most excellent story. Another one was 'The Thorn Birds', (made into a mini-series long ago), by Colleen McCullough, Very good story till about ¾ of the way through, it seems like she lost interest in writing the rest of it & made a perfunctory effort to finish it.

valis

Night Manager ranks way high with me...not so much an espionage book as a moral tale...

ekim68

Mike
Just finished Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce... I'm a Young Adult at heart... :cool:

ekim68

Mike
Not sure how you feel about movies/shows being made out of books, but so far over the last ten years I've been unimpressed.. Several real Duds and I much rather interpret the books with my perception. The reason I've brought this up is that Apple's gonna make a series from Foundation by Asimov and I'm not impressed.
Here's a Teaser and it looks like a lot of other action pictures as of late.. :eek:

Johnny b

John
For people with out imaginations, there is CGI.
Small details can become a distraction from the intended focus.
Story lines are manipulated to favor the eye rather than the mind.

Not always, just too often.

TV is a lot worse :D
It's done on the cheap lol!

( imo, obviously )

valis

Not sure how you feel about movies/shows being made out of books, but so far over the last ten years I've been unimpressed.. Several real Duds and I much rather interpret the books with my perception. The reason I've brought this up is that Apple's gonna make a series from Foundation by Asimov and I'm not impressed.
Here's a Teaser and it looks like a lot of other action pictures as of late.. :eek:
I know that the LOTR flicks garnered huge praise and a bit more dollars....and I am a huge fan but of the books...my parents had a very bad divorce beginning in the late 70s and I escaped into Middle Earth (and Thomas Covenant, mention for ekim) and I am sorry...
Peter Jackson did an awesome job but it simply cannot compare to what my imagination created for me to escape to.

Obviously just my view as that is one of the highest grossinh flicks ever....but it aint the one I see...

valis

and no, I wont even think about watching Foundation....no way in hades that can be made into a movie worth watching....

I can see Hopkins as Seldon though...I will say that....

ekim68

Mike
Hopkins? Have to think on that one.. And after almost a decade of recommendations from you, I got Thomas Covenant sitting on my table right now, although I've got three other books ahead of it, and I'm still twisting my brain finishing up Hawking's book. :eek:

valis

Hopkins? Have to think on that one.. And after almost a decade of recommendations from you, I got Thomas Covenant sitting on my table right now, although I've got three other books ahead of it, and I'm still twisting my brain finishing up Hawking's book. :eek:
ur-Lord and White Gold Wielder....and yes my wedding ring is white gold...;)

those books, to me, are up there...

valis

and Hawking twisting ones brain is not exactly a bad thing...;)

stay safe man and keep washing those hands!

ekim68

Mike
Just got Age of Empyre by Michael Sullivan and it finishes up a six-book series, finally....! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online