Good fiction books

RT

I know that the LOTR flicks garnered huge praise and a bit more dollars....and I am a huge fan but of the books...my parents had a very bad divorce beginning in the late 70s and I escaped into Middle Earth (and Thomas Covenant, mention for ekim) and I am sorry...
Peter Jackson did an awesome job but it simply cannot compare to what my imagination created for me to escape to.
I must say that LOTR triogly rates highly here as a read and a watch.
The read started with The Hobbit in high school, very popular, but some "ingested" it more than others.
Those folks became my friends, somehow.

Interesting that three movies were made from that one Hobbit book, and one movie made from each book of the following trilogy.

But let me quote Tim once again:
I escaped into Middle Earth (and Thomas Covenant, mention for ekim) and I am sorry...
Peter Jackson did an awesome job but it simply cannot compare to what my imagination created for me to escape to.
Your imagination, mine....and others.
Escape to another realm, cinema tries, but can rarely duplicate the emotions and awe inspired the strange mix of the written words when you read something that creates a different reality in your mind, opens new doors.

Thomas Covenant.....
uh, at one point in my life, wished I had contracted leprosy (sorry, Hansen's disease) but I didn't >phew<
because I wanted that door opened, too.
To escape to.

Real life has a funny way of coming 'round to slap you in the face with a wet fish, or piece of crap that has hit the fan.

Last edited:

valis

I must say that LOTR triogly rates highly here as a read and a watch.
The read started with The Hobbit in high school, very popular, but some "ingested" it more than others.
Those folks became my friends, somehow.

Interesting that three movies were made from that one Hobbit book, and one movie made from each book of the following trilogy.

But let me quote Tim once again:
Your imagination, mine....and others.
Escape to another realm, cinema tries, but can rarely duplicate the emotions and awe inspired the strange mix of the written words when you read something that creates a different reality in your mind, opens new doors.

Thomas Covenant.....
uh, at one point in my life, wished I had contracted leprosy (sorry, Hansen's disease) but I didn't >phew<
because I wanted that door opened, too.
To escape to.

Real life has a funny way of coming 'round to slap you in the face with a wet fish, or piece of crap that has hit the fan.
there is a reason my wedding ring is white gold....;)

Just started "The Gates of Creation" by Philip Jose Farmer. Read it years ago, He used a lot of names from William Blakes charactors, another truly strange man.

Gr3iz

Mark
Reading the Complete Works of Lewis Carroll -- Quite a lengthy tome!

valis

Just started "The Gates of Creation" by Philip Jose Farmer. Read it years ago, He used a lot of names from William Blakes charactors, another truly strange man.
Farmer, IMHO, is very underrated...

valis

why am I thinking Python here? 😄

but yeah, Covenant was key to me at those times.

As was Pern.

And Shannara.

And the Belgariad.

What got me out of fantasy and into SciFi was Ringworld, belive it or not. Then Varley's Titan (funny story about that, with CIA and Red Curtain and Arabian qiarterhorses) then Heinlein and off I went..eventually tripped over PKD and Asimov....

valis

sorry that is not correct...I was also a fan of Xanth and that lead me to Macroscope....THEN Niven....

Xanth didnt stand the test of time Macroscope sure as heck did....

valis

ya know...here is a fun question...what is the first book you can remember reading all by your toddler self? Got Flat Stanley here....

Gr3iz

Mark
I know I read just about every book in the classroom in 2nd grade, but I couldn't tell you a single title. That was many, many moons ago! About a year before we lost JFK ...

Gr3iz

Mark
First fantasy I can recall was as a teen. I picked up the Hobbit at a friend's house and couldn't put it down!

RT

ya know...here is a fun question...what is the first book you can remember reading all by your toddler self? Got Flat Stanley here....
Well it must have been something by Dr Suess, I'd reckon
Also recall how the alphabet did beckon
Me into reading the letters on my Grandma's washing machine
It was a Westinghouse, lots of letters for a toddler, if you know what I mean!

valis

totally know....Clairol was the first word I was proud of as I learned about the soft 'o'....

valis

I know I read just about every book in the classroom in 2nd grade, but I couldn't tell you a single title. That was many, many moons ago! About a year before we lost JFK ...
there will never be a better smell than a well stocked library...

Reactions: RT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online