Good Firewalls

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sharon D

Hi folks. Have a friend who had a heckuva time with Zone Alarm-the new version and old. I've suggested to him to try out Tiny Personal Firewall or Sygate. The problem is he is having a tough time trying to figure out how to configure and use either of these programs. Does anybody that uses either of these firewalls have any good instructions on hand on how to configure and use either of these programs? Or possibly have any suggestions as to any good free firewalls to use other than ZA? He might even willing to pay for a good one that's easy to use-I'll have to check with him.
Thanks all! :) sharon

Max19

Account Disabled
Did your friend read the documentation for those programs?

Sharon D

Hey Max. Yeah, I believe he has, but he is an absolute pc beginner and he needs to be walked through most stuff. I help him with any probs or Q's he has via email, but I've never used either firewall-so that makes it hard for me to help him out. I'm thinking of downloading both programs so that I can check them out for him. Better yet-if someone could send me the documentation on both\either of these programs then I could read through it and help him out...

Max19

Account Disabled
Or you could download the documentation yourself. It's probably on the software company's web site.

Sharon D

Good idea, Max. I'll head to each site tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Have a great weekend!

Del

You might want to be careful of the Sygate. I've heard folks refer to it as spyware and I tried it. It slowed my connection down.
I use Tiny Personal Firewall and it works fine. Have used it for months and no ill effects, sets up just like ZA.
Del

Sharon D

Thanks Del. Do you know if I can download the documentation for Tiny from their site? I'll tell my buddy to stay away from Sygate...Thanks a heap for that info! Have an awesome weekend!

:) sharon

I've heard Black Ice is suppose to be a good one also. I use Zone Alarm myself and haven't had any problems.

Del

Yup, I never heard of anyone having a problem with Black Ice either. Don't know if you have to pay for it though.
I've used Zone Alarm also and never had a problem, but have had a lot of calls with people that used it and all of a sudden, they connect but can't get email or surf. After opening all ports and uninstalling it, they surfing again. Go figure, eh?
Del

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online