1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good floppy, good drive and a bad WIn 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PLC ENGINEER, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PLC ENGINEER

PLC ENGINEER Thread Starter

This is a problem that is continuous for about 2 years. I have about 10 new floppy disks and 2 computers, one with WIN 2000 and one with WIN 98. 4 of the disks are not readable on the 2000 computer, but they run just fine on the 98 computer. The error I get on the WIN 2000 is "The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to formatted it now?". I have changed the floppy drive but no luck in solving the problem. I have tried those floppy disks on other computers and the same error I get on WIN NT, 2000, and XP. I have also tried these disks on WIN 98 and 95 and they seem to be just fine. An intersting thing happens sometimes, and that is when I browse the floppy on the 98 computer the problem is solved, however not all the times. I beleive it is a Windows 2000 problem, however I don't really know why this is happening. If you can help me, I would really appreciate it.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Can you read any floppies on the 2000 or XP computers. Just trying weed out a hardware problem. Wondering if you might have installed the cable on upside down on the floppy drive. I have been guilty of this several times.

3. wedor

wedor

It is a Win2K problem, I have experienced it but have not come up with a fix yet. Definitely not a cable issue.

4. NameTooLong

NameTooLong

Were these disks bought with information already on them or did the Win98 machine write them? If the Win98 machine wrote them... maybe Win98 writes in a different format than Win2k uses and good ol' Microsoft decided not to be backwards compatible.

5. PLC ENGINEER

PLC ENGINEER Thread Starter

I know the installation of the floppy drive is ok. The floppy drive reads most of the floppy disks that I have. I am having problems with only few disks that I know they are good.
    LwdSquashman: Yes I can read most of the floppy disks that I have on the win 2000 and XP computers
    Wedor: I agree with you, I think it is a win 2000 issue. I have a solution that works only sometimes. If you prime the disk in a win 98 or 95 computer, it fixes the problem sometimes. By priming the disk I mean, moving something off of the disk and put it back.
    I need to find out what is happening. Thank you everyone.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/131195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice