1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Good Graphic Card Maker?

Discussion in 'Games' started by msgtgumby, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

Could anyone that runs a GeForce4 Ti 4600 or GeForce FX 5800 Ultra tell who a good maker is? I know eVGA, that made my FX5900, is good, but they don't seem to make these cards that I've seen. Don't want to blow money on a poorly made card...thanks.

2. Tranquility

Tranquility

Why the 5800 Ultra? That card was the worst high end card that NVIDIA managed to screw up. A 5700 Ultra would be a better choice for an affordable mainstream card.

Gigabyte makes some pretty good cards and bundle quite a few games with their cards.

3. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

Only because I heard it was a good card for Doom3 (and it's the only reason my brother in law is buying the card). That and the 5900 were the top two recomended for the game without emptying your wallet. The Ti4600 would be the lower budget option for him as they said it could play it at medium quality just fine. Thanks for the help, I'll look at Gigabyte made cards.

4. flyeater

flyeater

I had/have an eVGA card. It died one year to the day. I'll never buy another. I've switched to ATI cards & have been very happy with them.

5. Tranquility

Tranquility

I'm using a 9700 Pro and its performance is very good. Maybe a 9600 Pro would be a better mainstream solution. My gripe with ATI cards though is their driver support is less effective than NVIDIA. They have issues with so many games. For instance I need to switch to Catalyst 3.10 drivers when I need to play Call of Duty because of an error that gets the PC caught in an infinite loop and crashes the game. That's why I think my next video card will be a 6800 ultra.

6. tom1111

tom1111

catalyst 3.10 seems to be the most stable driver version for most games. i run ut2k4 and warcraft 3 on it seamlessly, but when i switch to the most updated versions, wc3 crashes every 5 minutes, and ut2k4 crashes once every 3 hours or so.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

I run ATI exclusively and rarely have problems with ANY games.

The advantage is that ATI makes both cards and chipsets so you are not bouncing back and forth between 2 companies when you need support.

8. tom1111

tom1111

what kind of ati are you using? i know some people with fireGL's that NEVER have problems with compatibility.

9. msgtgumby

msgtgumby Thread Starter

my eVGA seems to be find, I've been very happy with it. I used to run ATI, they do have good cards I won't deny that, but the drivers and be a pain sometimes. As someone else said for CoD you need special drivers. I've actually heard ATI had to release a patch for some people so they could play Doom3. Never had trouble with Nvidia like that. Plus, activision actually worked with Nvidia while making Doom3, I know the cards going to work. More opengl friendly for RtCW and CoD and such :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice